• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Camera Upgrade or Not?

Guest StevenWhatley

Guest StevenWhatley

I've had a bonus from work (woop woop) and its made me think about DSLR or CCD again.. 

I currently have 450D and i'm seriously considering upgrading for a 1200D or 600D 

Or even an astromoded DSLR.. Or do I move over to the world or CCD LRGB ???

I'm really only interested in DSO's so with a £500 budget what the recommendations guys???

Cheers 

Altair Astro 0.8x Reducer/Flattener to start?? Not sure what CCD you would get for your budget though and whether upgrading the DSLR would give you the improvement you want??

Cheers

Ron

Guest StevenWhatley

Yeah see that's what I'm thinking too which is why I asked the question... It just when I'm using BYEOS I notice the camera sensor temp just keeps going up and up to like 27c so not sure if maybe the newer cameras cooled a little better

Chalk and cheese really, if your really interested in imaging dso stuff then a mono ccd is the real way to go, sensitivity and options as regard to lrgb and narrowband imaging is miles better than a dlsr , I'm not putting down the dlsr as I have one myself but my 314 beats it hands down apart from the chip size and price, a good second hand one should be about 700 Pounds

Guest StevenWhatley

Ok cool, I may purchase a cheaper mono camera like a Imaging Source  CCD and some LRGB filters to play with for a while before spending the big pennies??

Is that a sensible idea or a waste of money ??

Cheers 

Edited by StevenWhatley

to be honest a waste of money, i thought the same as you and bought a Atik titan first, the difference between the titan and the 314 is massive, i bit the bullet and glad i stopped messing about. of course there are better cameras out there but i`ve had cars that cost alot less than my 314 but i don`t regret buying it, wish it had a slightly bigger chip of course but i does most objects for dso imaging well, cools qiuckly to minus 27 degrees of ambient so no real need for darks also so you can spend more time imaging.

gina over on stargazers lounge has one up for sale at the moment.

save you pennies and get a 314 or Sx H9 when one comes up second hand

mono

forget rgb and get Ha filter and you will have years of fun

Think you have to have so many posts before they allow you access - bummer :-(

ahh yes i think you need 50 posts first, i can point her in your direction if you like, if it hasn`t gone already, they don`t usually hang around long