• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Need some advice please

Guest Phillyo

Guest Phillyo

I'm loving being imaging again, especially knowing that my old scope was broken and that's why it was so hard to collimate and image with it. I'm looking forward to winter and hopefully clear skies, but I'm in a bit of a quandary.

I currently use a modded 450D on my astrotrac with a selection of Canon lenses (50mm, 105mm and 70-200mm) plus the Megrez 72.

I love the astrotrac, it's a doddle to set up and it's small, portable and is a great little mount. However it obviously has it's draw backs (2 hours max for a start and no go to/EQMod).
I also don't mind using the 450D, live view makes life easy with framing and it's nice to get the extra reds with the mod, but it's also noisy, requires dark frames really which require the same temp etc.

So I would like to get a new mount or a ccd. (Atik 314L+)

My head is saying get the mount, probably EQ-6 Syntrek with eqmod. But the silly bit of my brain is whispering sweet nothings and all I can hear is "CCD, get the CCD". I can't afford both at the moment, not until the bike has sold anyway so it would need to be one over the other...

Help please?

Phil.

Mount first, what's the point of a cracking good CCD that you can't use as the mount won't allow you to do the sub length you need.

Just my 2p's worth.

Guest Phillyo

I'm inclined to agree...but it's not as exciting as getting a CCD :(

Sheila. The best I can afford. EQ 6 or AZ-EQ6 GT? Worth the £600 extra? I don't want or need the go-to handset as I'll be using EQMod with CdC again or something similar.

Thanks for the input both. It's what I was leaning towards.

Phil

I only have knowledge of the NEQ6 so i would say the 6, but some one else may have another opinion on that score. :lol:  

Sheila

i`m afraid boring mount first,

you could get away with a heq5 at a push but you`ll properly be like me and end up with a neq6, the cheaper syntrek is exactly the same as the neq6 but doesn`t have the handset, although the handsets do sell fairly easily on there own.

your megrez 72 with a the canon on the back will serve you well until you can afford a ccd plus it`ll enable you to learn all the software and processes involved with the dark art of astro imaging.

if like me you have a short temper where computers are concerned then pay attention to your blood pressure., the things drive me wild and usually throw a fault when it`s a nice clear night.

Edited by red dwalf

Guest Phillyo

Haha I don't mind the software side of things Rob, I have used stellarium, stellarium scope, CdC, PHD, EQMod etc all with an NEQ6-pro a couple of years back and found it fairly easy...except the scope I was using threw me off and put me off the hobby for a while. Hence why I've come back with the smaller wider fov of the megrez and gone with a refractor instead of reflector for now.

Thank you all for the advice. I'm getting the general vibe that it should be the CCD right...? ;)

EQ6 it is :)