• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Cooling

Tweedledee

AZ4 fully loaded with ST120 and 12x80 Finder.

Not really a good combination, since the ST120 with the big 100 degree ep actually gives a wider real field of view than the finder! :blink:

Will give it a try tonight though :) ...

20140828_190350.jpg

20140828_190425.jpg

Edited by Tweedledee

Guest Tweedledum

Nice one Pete, don't bother bringing the az4  just drop in that lovely ep! ;)The naggy and the axiom work nicely on the st120 too, still trying to justify 100 deg 5.5mm :screwloose: ....

Had a quick look tonight before it clouded over. The AZ4 is really nice to use thanks Damian.

Managed to see the double cluster, Stock 2, M34, Melotte 20 and several clusters in Cassiopeia using the 25mm 100 degree at a colossal 4.2 degree field of view. Melotte 20, the Alpha Perseus Cluster, looks superb in the 120mm at over 4 degrees FOV. Didn't even take the dust caps off the finder with that field of view, just pointed it by eye. Very little dark adaptation and a little hazy cloud, so I have seen these cluster looking richer in darker skies, but compared to any other ep, the big eyepiece is an IMAX cinema. This is why you need to justify getting that 100 degree, you will then eventually consider robbing a bank and changing your whole eyepiece collection to 100 degrees. To my eyes at least, the view is just so easy and relaxing. You can look around the field of view just like everyday vision and get lost in it, there is just so much to look at and enjoy. The telescope gets out of the way completely and just leaves you out in space. You don't feel as though you are looking down a tube of any sort.

This really is some "Spacewalk Experience" and I can't recommend it highly enough, but then perhaps I'm just mad. Most sane people would spend their money on a nice CCD. :)

That sounds fantastic, it's good that these short tube refractors are able to come into their own with the right combination of gear. It looks the ideal grab n' go set up.

Guest peepshow

Had a quick look tonight before it clouded over. The AZ4 is really nice to use thanks Damian.

. Most sane people would spend their money on a nice CCD. :)

Insane people too. :)

Very nice kit but where o where is BIG DOB these days?

...........Get those 100 degree photons bombarding your retina. :D

The big dob is still in dry dock undergoing modifications. Taking longer than expected due to limited spare time. Need to get a move on now with darker nights coming and SWMBO is not too happy having it in bits around the garage so she is struggling to walk through. The garage doubles as an extra utility room.

Guest peepshow

The big dob is still in dry dock undergoing modifications.

Sounds like a ship waiting to be launched.....

"! name this DOB Stardust and may God bless all who look through her." :)

Great looking set-up there Pete. :)

I bet that AZ4 is pretty much maxed out with all that heavy glass on it !  :lol:

Great looking set-up there Pete. :)

I bet that AZ4 is pretty much maxed out with all that heavy glass on it !  :lol:

Cheers Rob, I'll swap it for yours if you really like it. :D

Actually it is a pretty solid, but cheap mount ideal for basic visual, and doesn't feel overloaded.

But you know me, I'd try and mount the kitchen sink on it as well given half a chance. :screwloose:

But you know me, I'd try and mount the kitchen sink on it as well given half a chance. :screwloose:

lol, you could if you had a van ;-)

Nice little setup there - whilst the dob is in dry dock. :-)

• 2 weeks later...

The mind boggles at 4.2° FOV, it must be awesome. I wonder what the Veil Neb looks like, you should get it all in with room to spare.