• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Hello from North Hykeham

Guest HykehamObservatory

Guest HykehamObservatory

My name is Phil Norton.

I became interested in astronomy at the age of 8 courtesy of a school friend. I have been a member of the Lincoln Astronomical Society since 1967 and am currently the Treasurer. I operate several telescopes. I have a Coronado PST and an ETX70 on a dual driven mount for Solar observing. My main interest is Lunar and Planetary Imaging and I have 130, 200 and 300mm reflectors for this. I have upgraded my cameras and as well as a Philips SPC900NC I have added the ZWO 120MM and CM. I also use a Meade DSI2 B/W and Colour cameras for deep sky.

I retired earlier this year and asked for a Funcube Dongle as a present which was gratefully received and have set about building a Radio Meteor detection system. It was easy setting it up at the beginning of August but now I have to wait for long periods before something pings.

The Hykeham Observatory comes about because I actually live at North Hykeham- a town attached to Lincoln. I am currently setting up a web page for it but that is down the jobs list a bit.

Hi Phil and a warm welcome to EMS.

I have just spent 10 minutes going over the observatory's website, I really enjoyed looking at the photos of the obsy build, it certainly took a while to construct.

Hope you enjoy the forum and feel free to share some of your pictures in the relevant section.

All the best,

Darren.

A warm welcome to the forum Phil from a fellow Yellowbelly who lives up the road in Cranwell (RAF)  :)

A warm welcome to EMS Phil.

It looks like you have a good selection of scopes to use, I just hope your observatory doesn't suffer too much from Lincoln sky glow.

There's a few guy's near you who are members of the Lincolnshire group, Iam sure they will be along and make you feel welcome.

http://www.eastmidlandsstargazers.org.uk/forum/60-east-lincolnshire-astronomy-club/

In the meantime, enjoy the forum. :) 

Guest HykehamObservatory

Hi All,

Many thanks for the welcome. The Hykeham Observatory sits on the Lincoln boundary (well five doors away). This makes me a 'Bright Site' member. It's not really the light pollution (that is bad enough) but downhill Lincoln gets all the rubbish from the Trent Valley pushed up against the hillside with the wind from the west. Now they have added an energy from waste plant a mile away that is chucking out water vapour as well. It is the transparency that I have a problem with. This has pushed me to the brighter objects in the sky- Sun Moon and Planets.

Phil