• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

CDC v PHD

RonC

After a frustrating night last Sunday when although I used EQMode through CnC sucessfully I could not get PHD to work.

Graham in passing said (Switch CnC off as it talks to the mount differently to PHD', has anybody else had to do this or got around the problem (if there is a problem?) I cannot use Stellarium on this lappy due to a slow graphics board!

Any suggestions??

Cheers

Ron 

I run PHD and CDC with no issues at all. Get maxim and do it all from there though*

* opens can of worms and sits back to watch :popcorn:

HI Ron

You dont have to close CDC just disconnect the mount using the drop down tab where you connect it .

This will close the eqmod dialog box.

Then fire up PHD and connect your camera and mount.

When you connect the mount the eqmod dialog box will open up again but you will have to set it tracking in sidereal again.

This is what I have to do otherwise it will crash the eqmod and I have to reboot the computer.

Running XP pro .

Edited by Graham

I'm on Win7 Pro and have no issues with crashing except when power fails. If power fails it's a complete restart from scratch or else curse for a few hours trying to figure out why it won't talk to anything. I fire up CDC first and Sharpcap to do my star align, then close sharpcap and fire up PHD, let it calibrate and away I go. Image capture via Maxim usually.

Umm, I'm using Win 8.1 on this lappy but I'm waiting for another lappy to arrive with Win7 on, I'm just going to load astro stuff on it and nothing else!

you can use an older version of stellarium Ron, i use 11.4, not as graphic intensive so should be ok for pc`s which have built in shared graphic cards, or you could try updating your graphics driver also but thats alittle more fiddly

Can't even get the game pad to work tonight, eqmod OK not tried g]uiding yet!!

If you want Ron I could take a look at the computer side - as I don't use any AP software other than stellarium (latest version) - especially if the Win 7 lappy does the same. Just let me know  :)

Thanks Clive, will hold you to that. New lappy not arrived yet, looking forward to a bit less hassle! :)

new lappy working OK on EQMod and BYEOS but I cannot get the PHD to connect using a power hub? Any help please?

Yes, works OK on a direct USB connection! Hub is fien with BYEOS and gamepad dongle but doesn't work PHD or the EQDir USB lead?

Will check and dowmload. I went out a few moments agc having left the mount parked and it was moving both in dec and alt backwards and forwards???

Got it,solved the problem Rob! All working OK except it's cloudy now! Anyway an early night for me, Micks picking in up at 0630 in the morning!!

Thanks for your help mate! :)