• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

8" or 10"?

tuckstar

So I'm going for a dob. Got 2 possibles both skywstcher skyline solid tube both same price.

8" is modded with telrad, wixey, setting circle and lazy Susan.

10" as is.

I'm leaning towards the 8" cus I'm not that sure of my handy work with the mods (read lazy :-)).

Any thoughts before I go and spend my cash in the morning.

I know, I'm sorry, I shouldn't be buying anything this close to kelling.

10", always go as big as you can afford, move, lift, store ETC.

If you get stuck with the mods, give me a shout.

:)

Get the 10".

Read up about modding, ask us for advice, then if you work fast you can get a lazy susan, setting circle, Telrad and buy my Wixey very cheap, and fit it all in a morning ready for Kelling.

You will see more with the 10" :)

Get the 10".

Read up about modding, ask us for advice, then if you work fast you can get a lazy susan, setting circle, Telrad and buy my Wixey very cheap, and fit it all in a morning ready for Kelling.

You will see more with the 10" :)

"You will see more with the 10"" = yeh clouds if the weather around here is anything to go by  :D

Providing you find it in good condition, you've made the right choice. The mods you want won't cost much and are not difficult to do, it's just that you probably haven't done them before so you may lack confidence. Even if you don't manage to do the mods in time for Kelling, it will still be good as standard and you will be absolutely amazed at what you can see with a 10" from a dark sky.

Here's hoping Clive is wrong about the clouds.

Thanks guys, as ever a wealth of knowledge and a great sounding board, now just SHMBO to convince. She knows it's coming but don't think she realises how much bigger it is compared to my little 130!

Pete, you mentioned you might have a wixey....

Edited by tuckstar

And i`m guessing the ground board of a 10 " will not be much bigger than my 8", if that is the case I have some black paint left over from when i did mine, some slide guides, the same wood that I made my setting circle out of and the tools I used to do it.  All you would need is the lazy susan (if the 10 does not come with one) and the setting circle itself.

You can have them (minus the tools) if you need them, FOC.

My signature has a "How to guide" for the lazy susan and the setting circle if you want to have a look.

Pete, you mentioned you might have a wixey....

My wixey is new and unused in the box with instructions with numerous spare button batteries. It is the all singing all dancing top model apparently. Worth £30 but £15 to you inc postage, if you want it.

Your a star Daz, i'll have a chat with you at Kelling, i'll be there Friday at some point. Did you say Mike can get hold of setting circles, obviously when he's not knee deep in nappies.

My wixey is new and unused in the box with instructions with numerous spare button batteries. It is the all singing all dancing top model apparently. Worth £30 but £15 to you inc postage, if you want it.

I'll pm you Pete.

As said above, always go for the biggest aperture within your budget and that you can transport and store without issue. A 10 inch dob is a superb scope and would allow you to observe a wealth of objects in detail. Also as said above, the guys and gals will be  more than happy to assist with pointers for any modifications that you may desire to do. I see you have a couple of kind offers already. Gotta love EMS. :thumbsup:

Well, the deed is done. 250px Skywatcher skyliner solid tube , eyepieces and moon filter in great condition. And it turns out it was from a new member of the forum, thanks seven_legs.

Let the modding begin.

Sorry about any cloud. It should clear for Friday, I hope!!

Edited by tuckstar

it was nice meeting you andy. hope you be happy with the scope. looking forward to going and becoming a dark site member