• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Darkest sky I've seen...

DaveJW

Recently got back from visiting Deb's kids & mates in Ontario, Canada - very mixed weather but a few good clear nights, on one of which we went here:

Double cluster visible with my naked eye through the car window whilst waiting at a red light (bridge repair) nearby!

DSCN0475_zpsf482ea5b.jpg

At the reserve the sky was amazing, brightly defined milky way & stars down to the horizon, beautiful. Didn't even have the binoculars with me!

On the down side astronomically speaking, another sign nearby reminds you that it is bear country!

DSCN0473_zpsc1e0abfe.jpg

A guy there was taking some beautiful wide-field photos of the sky - just 20 second exposures he said.

Went back the next day to see the place in daylight, walk along the trails &  & take photos.

DSCN0492_zpsb6e868fc.jpg

Edited by DaveJW

Guest Tweedledum

That's a great place, on the way to Sudbury & Sault St Marie.. Have friends in Mississauga & Toronto

Darkest skies for me Maldives.

4268848179_32306dd1dd_o.jpgAlbum-49_2 by DAR-PICS, on Flickr

Edited by Tweedledum

Wow, nice place there Dave, dangerous wildlife aside. Did they say which bears were there?

That's a nicely written sign as well, and looks like a great part of the world to be in. 

Wow, nice place there Dave, dangerous wildlife aside. Did they say which bears were there?

That's a nicely written sign as well, and looks like a great part of the world to be in. 

Black bears, so not too aggressive (they say). Fresh bear sh1t in evidence & not just in the woods, but no sightings for us. (Saw 3 moose though).

Also visited Ontario (Thunder Bay) and remarked on the dark skies but I hadn't started astronomy then!!

Did see a Black bear and lots of Moose and Bald eagles!  :)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Outside a tiny seaside town called Whitianga (pronounced "Fittyanga") in New Zealand-zero light pollution and absolutely unreal views of the Milky Way.

Outback Australia driving with local from Noosa back to Alice stoping and sleeping under stars in swag somewhere east of the Northern Terrioty boarder into Queensland got the dome effect as horizon to horizon clear never forget

Outside a tiny seaside town called Whitianga (pronounced "Fittyanga") in New Zealand-zero light pollution and absolutely unreal views of the Milky Way.

Thought i recognised that name I've been there too Felix but didn't have clear skies rain for the time we were there May time 

Such a shame Allan-truly breathtaking naked eye views of the Milky Way. I'll never see better I don't think.

Such a shame Allan-truly breathtaking naked eye views of the Milky Way. I'll never see better I don't think.

Corromandel town was a good one for us great clear skies was out their on a freebie flight ( won with Air NZ ) when i worked in travel was looking to move out their looked at Tauranga as possible location had enough point etc but mother in law put a stop to the move kept on what about me whos going to look after me etc

Ha well wouldn't of joined EMS if id emigrated out there