• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

test processing with lights, flats and bias frames

red dwalf

i`ve finally got round to doing some processing test to find out what difference adding flats and bias frames to my lights would achieve,

these where done using my Atik 314 L+ and processed exactly the same way in photoshop to get a proper comparison.

stacked in DSS, first lights only, then lights and flats then lights flats and bias frames.

saved as fit files instead of tiff but do not apply the changes to the saved images, it`s a little button at the bottom of the save screen in dss, if you do the image histogram goes right over to the right side and looks over exposed.

opened fit files in photoshop, i`ve found that there's no point in stretching the files in fits liberator before hand as the outcome seems to be exactly the same.

first i did auto levels on each image.

adjusted the levels down to the dark side,

simple standard curve on each image,

adjust levels again,

applied a low level gradient,

local contrast enhancement in actions,

reduced the noise in filters,

smart sharpen in filters.

here is the results and the histogram of each image, i think i prefer the one with lights and flats only but the one with lights, flats and bias has a wider histogram.

lights only

photoshophhtest1lights_zps3f60b6a6.jpg

hhhistogramlights_zps86477c3b.jpg

lights and flats images

photoshophhtest2lightsandflats_zpse045ec

hhhistogramlightsflats_zps8328369f.jpg

light, flats and bias images

photoshophhtest3lightsflatsbiasonly_zps2

hhhistogramlightsflatsbias_zps7d220741.j