• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Five days of cloud and I am climbing the walls !

Guest pugly101

Guest pugly101

After five cloudy days I went out for literally thirty seconds to get a quick astro fix in a break in the clouds last night..... Going stir crazy inside of a night.....

So the question is what does everyone else do? spend time planning your next observation? servicing kit? spending time with those strange people that live with you - family I think they call themselves??

Guest pugly101

I seem to spend most of my time peering out of the window hoping for a clear patch.... I am gonna have to move to Hawaii 

One thing guaranteed to keep the cloud cover is to plan your next session, chances are by the time the clouds clear the object you want to view is below the horizon.

Dont dwell on the poor weather conditions it will only frustrate you more. Just ensure that when the clouds do eventually clear, you make the most of it

Edited by philjay

Guest pugly101

See - beautiful afternoon here, no cloud, same in the evening - 1930 got all my gear and drove ten miles into the dark - FABULOUS. Got everything nicely polar aligned, got camera out of the car and the blasted clouds came in - zero visibility !!!!!! came home in a grump...

Hello Everyone

as someone who is still getting to grips with this astronomy business and new telescope and who can only really manage to get outside on fridays at the moment, i am amazed how much time i spend as the week goes on watching the weather forecasts for fridays, just as an aside, i,ve started to put together a folder with stuff that i find interesting, which is proving useful, (just wondered if there is a way of saving favorite posts that you might find interesting in the future because a couple of times i have tried to find old posts that wish i had written down but forgot and then could'nt find them again)

Regards

Rick 

Each new topic has it's own "web address" so you could make a note of that and save it to your folder. It would then be a case if copying the address into your browsers address bar.

This topics address for example is.....

http://www.eastmidlandsstargazers.org.uk/topic/9273-five-days-of-cloud-and-i-am-climbing-the-walls/#entry103396

:)

Hi All,

2p's worth... We all have the same problem an feelings but I guess when I got into this I thought I would try and be realistic about it. I knew the weather would often be poor and work commitments would likely frustrate at times as it will be clearest when I have the least free time. With respect to the equipment I have treated myself to, remember it is a hobby but also an interest. It's one that I have had almost all my life. Only been using a telescope again for about a year (thanks to this group) and started owning kit again for a about 6months or so. I am in this for the long term and even though I may not use all my kit all the time and as frequently as I want I like to know it is there when there is something of interest to see especially those once in a lifetime type events that crop up every once in a while (usually several times a life! :P  :facepalm: ) Anyhow... it's great when I do get out and sometimes that really takes some effort especially if I am really tired from work but I nearly always enjoy it when I do get set up and the hours fly by...)

As for setting up and the weather changing... if you have not seen these resources already take a look and use the likes of http://clearoutside.com. I also have an android app that tries to inform me what the seeing and humidity etc. are like as well called Astropanel. They are not always right and as with any weather forecasting tend to get more reliable the closer you are to the actually time but they may prevent you putting a lot of effort into getting to a location and then the weather changing. Oh, to have an observatory and superb skies from home! In the mean time when shorter gaps in the clouds arrive get out there and use the bits of kit that are quicker to set up, your eye's or some binoculars. There is so much to see and there are different tools that suite different jobs/targets. Have fun, be patient and learn (and get another poor weather hobby if you need one!) :)

Babble over and I haven't even had a drink yet.

Best wishes and clear skies to all (I think the wind is currently blowing all the clouds away)

Steve

Do modifications and research new targets sometimes reprocess images again to try and pull more out of them. Not to forget curse the cloud!

Mike

• Like 1