• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

PoTM Entries February 2015

Perkil8r

Post your images here for February 2015, remember, only one image per entrant. You may of course edit your post if you later decide another image is better etc. Remember to add some detail as to what kit has been used etc.

Good luck!

I can't seem to post an image. I uploaded it to Flickr, then chose the link and posted it in this forum but it won't allow it? Derek

This was the link I tried to post

https://www.flickr.com/photos/eastkeswick/16430707712/in/photostream

It was my first attempt at digital star trails, using my Canon 1100d. 200 exposures stacked with Startrails.  On the right, there is also a polar Iridium flare as a bonus.

16430707712_bf2c01ff35_o.jpgStartrails-north pole-processed by East Keswick, on Flickr

Edited by Perkil8r
  • Like 3

Added it for you, as above, hit the share icon and select bbcode, copy and paste that into your post.

• 2 weeks later...

Come on folks, get those images posted!

I've seen some really worthy stuff on here this month but I cannot consider them if they are not entered. There's not long left now so don't forget :)

The best seeing I have had this year for Jupiter(but thats not hard)

C11 sigma 1.4 convertor ZWO120 

73aece431ce46337fdebf250979002c6.16536x1

• Like 3

here`s my effort this month, 

8 x 10 min Ha subs with the William optics gt81 with reducer and some flats added for processing.

new-rose-adjusted_zpsr5y5iutf.png

• Like 2

Here's my contribution for Feb

Bubble Nebula Bi Colour - (10.3 Hours)  taken over 3 nights  (03, 06 and 09/02/2015)

28 x 900s Ha
10 x 1200s OIII

SW Equinox 80 APO and Flattener
EQ5 Pro Synscan GOTO.
Guiding: SW 9x 50 finder guider and QHY5.
Atik 314L+
Baader HA 7nm, OIII 8.5nm
Using: Artemis capture, PHD, DSS, and Photoshop CC.

16382800018_b7d2a6ec40_z.jpgBubble HA and OIII less red by VikN46, on Flickr

After much fighting with PS and rending of hair and clothes :D

My first ever solar Halpha, so be gentle with me :D

Sun in Halpha 27/02/15 0930 hours

Scope Lunt 60 with B1200 blocking filter, camera QHY IMGOH mono

2 frames, 1 exposed for proms and one for disc, masked and merged in PS. Each frame 2500 frames stacked and waveletted in Registax

solha270215.jpg

• Like 2

My late contribution is my first attempt at the Leo Triplet

Best 80% of:

17 Lights (5x 140s and 12 x 90s)

totalling 24 minutes integration time.

and
9 Darks
23 Flats
16 Bias

Stacked in DSS and tweaked in CS2

16481113990_f0d334ecb8_h.jpgLeo Triplet by sja88, on Flickr

Steve

• Like 1

Rosette Nebula in Narrowband

16485712189_a11b9639bd_o.pngNGC2237 HaSIIOIII by ayounghares, on Flickr

18 x 600s Ha
17 x 600s SII
14 X 600s OII

11 Darks Ha

11 Darks SII

11 Darks OIII

Master Darks Flats and Bias as per Dion's tutorial using Nebulosity 3

Williams Optics GT81
Atik 314L+

Stacked DSS
Processed CS6

Go on then.

GT81 

My old Canon 350 D

121 x 60 second subs at ISO 1600 - Dithered in BYE and PHD

3 Darks

11 Flats

M42.24.02.2015.jpg

Edited by Graham
  • Like 1

Thank you to all those who took the time to enter this month.

All the way through I thought I had got quite an easy task until right near the end when we suddenly saw an influx of images.

Stevenwhatley shared a very nice and unusual image for these boards with his Aurora self portrait. I do like the contrast in the image with great detail in the texture of the ground. The Aurora its self is nicely captured too.

Orion posted a very nice first try at star trails. If you haven't already done so, do click through to the full res picture, it is very sharp, the focus is spot on.

Sheila has made a good start on the stalwart of astrophotography targets, the Horsehead Nebula and Flame.

Ibbo battled the jet stream to bring us a nice string of images showing the transit of Callisto across Jupiter. It's not easy to get one decent image at that scale let alone a string of six. Plus the GRS is nicely positioned too just for good measure.

Red Dwarf made a good start on C49 in Ha. I look forward to seeing the other channels added to this.

Andyboy1970 gave us a widefield of M42 through to the Horsehead showing it is possible even with light pollution.

Vikn46 has been blowing bubbles, pretty bubbles in the air. The bubble really starting to show there.

Philjay has been splashing the cash and ventured into Ha solar, welcome to the lightside Phil. I like the balance and contrast in this one. Not over sharpened, just right.

Johnyaardvark is the first this year to venture into galaxy season with the Leo Triplet.

Alan The Plumber produced a very nice Hubble Palette C49. Perhaps not to everybodies taste with regards to colour, but this image is very good. The stars are nice and sharp all the way to the edge and the dark detail is a nice feature which has been processed well.

Graham rounds us off with a favorite, Orion's Sword. Showing why the Canon DSLR's are still up there when it comes to AP.

Well up until the last couple of days I had already picked a winner, then the winning photo just stole it. http://www.eastmidlandsstargazers.org.uk/topic/9408-potm-entries-february-2015/?p=106296

Alan The Plumber's C49 for me takes it by a nose. Just about squeezed into the frame, nice and sharp yet not over the top, blackpoint not clipped. It has a lot of detail and is just right. So well done Alan :thumbsup:

Well done to all though, there were some nice images there. Award yourselves one clear sky token.

Well done Allan.

That is one stunning picture.  :notworthy:

Edited by Graham

Well d8ne Alan, unfortunately I shall have to take others words for the goodness of your picture, its not opening here, must be too big for my archaic internet bandwidth

Very nice Allan, you've certainly captured a lot of nebula and fine detail :)

Congratulation Allan, it's a cracking image.

Well done to all the other entrants, there are some really good images, which considering the weather you had, are very good. :)

Thanks to Mike for a well informed write up.

Thank you all and thanks to Mike for all his hard work in judging and write up (1.45am) :o

For my money I thought that Steve's (ibbo) transit was the best but thank you all for the kind words and support still early days on the old narrow band :blush:

Hopefully will be working with Rob (red dwalf ) and combining our data to pull out loads of detail on the Rosette

Rob sent me his Ha last night and it has now given us nearly 8Hrs of Ha which added to a load of SII and OIII may give us a cracking image

Thanks again and Clear skies

Allan