• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Possible laptop replacement for mounts ?

stash

Interesting reading (and on The Register) especially as a verion of Windows 10 is being released by M/S especially for this model - all for 35 GBP  including Windows.

Fair amount of doubt on the 6X faster but could/might work to drive camera's etc - if the drivers get written of course.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-31088908

bloat ware will but to be fair it might be not that bad as of course."Windows 10" in name but the phone/Tablets have got to work fast to compete with Apple ( :ill: ) or Microsoft will be dead meat. But I think you will be right Dave- but for £35 it would be nice idea. I will see if some of those nice people on SGL buy one and try some things out.

I've got one due for delivery today. Not sure I'll be able to use any of my software with as it's compiled for Intel not ARM. I'll keep an eye on stuff for it though.

Did it arrive Leigh?

Any good?

Just ordered one from RS Components but won't be coming until early March as waiting for new stock.

Yes, a couple of days late as RS got overwhelmed with orders. It's noticeably faster, not had any problems with it so far.

Thanks Leigh. Looking forward to testing it with my ZWO ASI120MC camera. Hoping to get a decent frame rate :) RS have given me an estimated date of 2nd March.

Clive: Interesting article. Not come across that problem before :)

Thanks Leigh. Looking forward to testing it with my ZWO ASI120MC camera. Hoping to get a decent frame rate :) RS have given me an estimated date of 2nd March.

Clive: Interesting article. Not come across that problem before :)

I would like to know can it run

1. Stellairum(linux Arm version) at an acceptable speed and quality graphics.

2. USB connected camera - say ZWO at frame rates at or nearing std Laptop (Not I3/I5/I7) - think Dave tried this on the old PI but driver not available(?) and Indy was too slow.

So if you lucky lads get any info on your new PI 2 it would be very useful to know the above - Plus any other Astro specific bits - Sorry for being cheeky  :ph34r:

I'll give Stellarium a go as soon as I'm able and will report back. Fingers crossed that the extra memory and cpus make it a bit slicker. Indy is known to be slow. There is another project that can replace that. I'll check back through my bookmarks.

Nice one Leigh  :thumbsup: I was thinking of OACapture http://www.openastroproject.org/documentation/supported-cameras/

I am already using headless PI(1) to relay stellarium via ethernet/tcp/serial to Synscan handset it would allow one less item if Stellarium ran "nicely" on Pi 2.  Fingers crossed :)

I'll give Stellarium a go as soon as I'm able and will report back. Fingers crossed that the extra memory and cpus make it a bit slicker. Indy is known to be slow. There is another project that can replace that. I'll check back through my bookmarks.

I tried OACapture on the PI 1 and it worked reasonably well but I was dropping over 50% of the frames. Don't think I ever got INDY to work even though I eventually got it to compile ok.

I've just given Stellarium 0.11.3 a go. It seems to only utilise a single core and was pretty much unuseable. I've just installed KStars and that seems better and can control a scope. Graphically much more basic but if it does the job. Didn't seem to be using too much CPU either, so would probably run ok on an original Pi.

Give CdC a go lee. The GUI is much more basic than stellarium and works with EQmod for scope control via eqascom.

Many thanks Leigh - Oh well on Stellarium maybe the Stellarium guys might create a newer version to take advantage of the extra proc's - don't hold your breathe though. As you say Leigh the Windows 10 version of PI 2 might not have a lot, especially to begin with.

• 3 weeks later...

My Raspberry Pi 2 arrived this morning.

Xwindows GUI and file loading seems a lot quicker.

I installed oacapture and although frames are still low it seems more consistent. 640x480 capture with my ASI120MC gave a max FPS of 10.

Hopefully one day we will get a new version of oacapture that takes advantage of the multicores.

I also compiled and ran Linguider which runs fine and displays an image with either my ASI120MC or QHY5 connected. Not had chance to guide with it yet though.

pi2_linguider_oacapture.jpg

Think its the Indy side that's the problem - mad really when I have an embedded Linux Video security system that can run 4 camera's and get at least one at 25 fps. The proc is no different so has to be the software. Running ser2net and connecting to my mount without an handset doesn't even cause a flicker on the CPU usage on the PI(old) but my Win 7 Quad core (C2a,CDC Stell) do Sloooow down. The problem is the software need to be written for the PI 2 to take advantage of the extra memory/CPU's doubt Oacapture will do that yet plus even with Windows 10 - as Leigh says depends on the platform Microsoft provide for recompiling under ARM.

Have you trice changing the priority of the OAcapture software with, if I remember , used to be done with "nice" - plus may need the "real time" kernel - would be nice if it just worked out of the box. Oh Well thanks for the Info Dave

The FPS seems to be limited by the CPU as when recording one CPU is at 100%.

Even a nice value of -20 (highest task priority) makes no real difference.

Was hoping to try the camera in RAW capture but this does not seem to work in 0.3.0 oacapture.

stash: do you know of any alternatives to oacapture that work with the ASI120MC?

Sorry Dave no but I doubt that Oacapture was using 100% of the 4 CPU's just 1 - would have to be written to take advantage. I will have a dig round - Is the official linux support for ASI camera only Oacapture ?

Yea, mean 100% of one cpu :)   

Just tried the previous version of oacapture and the RAW option works fine. RAW at 640x480 gives up to 20 FPS.

Edited by TasKiNG

not really the thing you are looking for and it may not work anyway have you seen/tried this - guiding really not AP

not really the thing you are looking for and it may not work anyway have you seen/tried this - guiding really not AP

Should there have been a link in your post?

Had a bit more time tonight to play around with the old (0.2.0) version of oacapture and it's pretty good. 

At 640x480 and in RAW capture the frame rate is pretty reasonable:-

pi2_oacapture_020_raw.jpg

The max fps at full res (1280x960) is only 4

1024x768 is 8

The image is prone to breaking up a bit at short exposures but tweaking the USB Traffic setting to 43 seems to stabilise it.

:facepalm: http://canburytech.net/GoQat/index.html  As I say not exactly what you are looking for and I have never used it - plus it may not support the ZWO,although it does say it supports many camera's via INDI

Seems strange the older version works better - maybe dropping an email to the guy may help. Perhaps at the same time asking if he is going to tweak his s/w to take advantage of the 4 CPU !

From you screen capture it does seem to be dropping a fair % (30% ?) - I presume it can only run in a X-windows environment and not from the command line ?