• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Vixen SG 2.1x42 Widefield Bins

Tweedledee

Vixen-SG-2-1x42-wide-field.jpg

Just had a quick first light with the Vixen SG 2.1x42 Widefield Binoculars.

These binoculars are a delight to use. They feel so light and comfortable to look through like you are still just using naked eye, but seeing the sky as you would really like it to be with several times as many stars visible. The super-low magnification means that there is not the slightest problem with holding them steady, which contributes to the view being so easy on the eye.

The real field of view is at least 25 degrees! Constellations like Auriga or Gemini are seen in their entirety, nicely framed in the field of view. With such a wide field you always know exactly where you are in the sky, so wherever you look, you have a familiar framework, but filled with new stars that aren't normally apparent. They make my light polluted backyard sky substantially better than I have ever seen from any dark sky site naked eye in the UK, but not as good as I saw from Mount Teide in Tenerife. The extreme contrast provided by the inky blackness of zero light pollution is never going to be available from Mansfield.

Looking at the Sky & Telescope Pocket Sky Atlas, pretty much all the stars plotted (down to 7th mag) are actually visible. Optical quality is excellent with pin sharp stars but it does drop off very slightly towards the outer edge of the view without detracting from the excitement of the vista. Clusters like M44 the beehive are directly resolved into numerous stars, smaller ones are very small fuzzies. Melotte 111, the Coma Berenices cluster which is often only just visible with averted vision from my backyard, is completely and directly resolved into a beautiful swarm of stars.

Since I am not used to holding such tiny lightweight, though surprisingly dense, well made binoculars, I need to make sure I fit and use the supplied neck lanyard next time for safety in case they slip out of my hands.

I'm so impressed with this first look, and I can't wait to get them out to a dark site. These little Vixens provide a spectacular and unique experience. They will also fit in the car much better than some of my tackle :) .

• Like 2

They do sound impressive Pete.

I've heard they are very well made.

What would say is the magnitude gain from naked eye I would guess about 1.5 mag.

Very tempted.

They do sound impressive Pete.

I've heard they are very well made.

What would say is the magnitude gain from naked eye I would guess about 1.5 mag.

Very tempted.

My estimation is at least a 1.5 magnitude gain. This may not sound like that much but believe me, it really is an exciting view from this tiny package.

My first concerns prior to purchasing were that the calculated exit pupil is a ridiculous 20mm. (42/2.1). In normal optics this would waste the bulk of the light from the 42mm objectives. My investigations into these uncovered that they are not conventional optics but are a Galilean configuration, meaning that the exit pupil is not real, but virtual and is positioned inside the optics and is "mathematically indeterminable" - don't like the thought of that :) I have been assured, that because of this, the whole 42mm aperture is fully effective in gathering the light without wastage. I still haven't got my head around this exit pupil, but such ponderings completely stopped when I first pointed them at the stars. Now, I just want to enjoy the superb views without trying to work out what magic has been employed within them.

I now intend to purchase the 2" filter holders which fit onto the objectives and a second 2" UHC filter and get them out to a dark site. Apparently, although the stars will be far fewer, nebulae, especially NAN and the Veil jump out with the extra contrast :)

I do like the sound of nebula filters, to see the whole of the Veil just sounds fantastic.

I'm moving towards lighter and smaller kit once again and you don't get much lighter then these.

It is a German site and they are 49 euros plus shipping. I'm looking into a cheaper DIY way to fit filters with some stepper rings. Also I did a crude Google translation from the German site, you might do better, how's your German Mick...

https://www.fernrohrmarkt.de/product_info.php?info=p5215_ICS-Aufsteck-Filterhalter-fuer--SG2--1x-42-mit-Filtergewinde-M48x0-75.html

The filter holder to allow installation of 2 " mist filters in front of the " Guckerle " , the Vixen Binoculars SG2,1 x 42nd

The Vixen binoculars SG2,1 x 42 provides a much larger field of view than a normal lens . So all the constellations visible. With a few UHC before the opening of the Milky Way is partially covered with fog, the North America Nebula is bright and clear. Requirement is a good country sky. The filter holders have a 2 inch filter thread (48 x 0.75 mm). There, the standard 2 inch filters can be screwed.

Filters are not included. The Price is for one piece.

Glad you like them Pete. Great report.

They look a nice, quality bit of kit. Vixens Japenese build quality never disappoints does it ?

I wonder how long it will be before someone comes up with an adaptable frame, so they can literally be worn like a pair of glasses, hands free.

You'd get some funny looks no doubt..... :lol:

Glad you like them Pete. Great report.

They look a nice, quality bit of kit. Vixens Japenese build quality never disappoints does it ?

I wonder how long it will be before someone comes up with an adaptable frame, so they can literally be worn like a pair of glasses, hands free.

You'd get some funny looks no doubt..... :lol:

Cheers Rob, and thanks to you for saving me some money on them from Astrofest :thumbsup: .

I get the funny looks without the bins :D

Nice one Pete. Clever of them to come up with these.

I was just looking into going for higher 15 x70 bins after reading your earlier report on the brill binoculars viewing you had a few nights ago.

Now you have posted this great report,You have me looking into these :-)

Higher or lower? That is the question? Both, (eventually) I suppose, is the answer!

Cheers

Steve

Cheers Steve, I'm glad I have both.

Different fields of view for framing different sized objects :)

My 10x50s are fairly similar to my 15x70s, but the 2.1x42s let you explore a totally different extreme whilst also providing a very pleasing and unusual experience.

• Like 1

These sound amazing Pete, although they are expensive now, hopefully when the take up gets going they might come down a bit. That and they could appear on the second hand market as well.

A nice report Pete, thanks for sharing your experiences.

Yes, amazing but expensive for little bins.

£40 discount at Astrofest, which is probably the best price we can expect until the IAS in October :)

They are expensive because they are unique and Vixen can really charge what they want. In time Skywatcher might make some then the prices will drop. I am tempted though might wait till October for IAS.

If Skywatcher made them they will proberbly need modding!

;)

It should be they WILL need modding  :lol:

Edited by Doc