• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Which one? I am confused!

Guest knocker

Guest knocker

Hi all

Yesterday I ordered a new SW 80 ED Pro and today I was looking at getting a new eyepiece to use on it (as well as my 200p scope)

I was looking at getting this 32mm SW Panaview

http://www.firstlightoptics.com/skywatcher-eyepieces/skywatcher-panaview-2-eyepieces.html

Then I saw this 32mm

http://www.firstlightoptics.com/skywatcher-eyepieces/sky-watcher-swa-70-eyepieces.html

So now I am confused as to which one I should get the price is not an issue as its only a few pounds in it anyway but what are the benefits of each?

I have done my research and the Panaview is a well liked eps which gets lots of thumbs up on all the forums but I don't see too much on the swa-70

one is 5 element and the other is 8 is that it?

I am 53 and wear specs

Thx in advance

I have the 26mm and the 38mm Panaviews, and I really like them, they are good eyepieces for the money. As for SWA one's I can't comment, I haven't seen one.

From what I've read, the two versions of the 32mm perform very similarly and I think you'd be hard pushed to choose between the two in the dark. Theoretically the 8 element SWA should be slightlly better corrected than the 5 element Panaview, however this is not reflected in the reports I have read stating that both lose sharpness in the outer third of the field.

Personally I like the looks of the Panaview best.

i have a panaview and it`s a nice eyepiece, not that i use it all that often now i image a lot, but i was very happy with the views. can`t comment on the other one though.

Just to clarify, I wasn't meaning that they are not good eyepieces, in fact I've seen some very good reports mainly on the Panaview, which has been around longer. The lack of sharpness around the edge is probably not a problem at all in longer focal length scopes.

In that price range I think the Panaview is a very good buy.

Guest knocker

Yes I agree I was all set to get the Pan when I came agross the SWA-70. I have just read a review here

http://stargazerslounge.com/topic/211960-skywatcher-swa-70-degree-eyepieces/

Which does mention the issues at the edge, but for a 32 mm for less then £100 is that not going to be the norm? or is there an eps out there that's better then these 2 for under £100

It really depends on what scope you use it on.

I know when I had my F4.5 dob, I could really tell when I used cheaper eyepieces, they really showed aberrations at the edges.

But on slow scopes like my F10 refractor these eyepieces were brilliant.

Yes I agree I was all set to get the Pan when I came agross the SWA-70. I have just read a review here

http://stargazerslounge.com/topic/211960-skywatcher-swa-70-degree-eyepieces/

Which does mention the issues at the edge, but for a 32 mm for less then £100 is that not going to be the norm? or is there an eps out there that's better then these 2 for under £100

Not unless you go for secondhand.

• 1 month later...

Sorry for a late reply. Not been around for a while

I,ve tested both on the same night. Simply put, the SWA give a sharper edge of field than the Panaviews

I was looking at those same EP's a couple of weeks ago. 

Was struggling to choose between Panaview and Skywatcher SWA's ..... In the end I bought neither and went for a WO SWAN 33mm  !

If weight is a consideration the WO's weigh 410g

There is a seller on eBay listing a  32mm Panaview listed on eBay (for £109.99 !!) that says approx 500g!

Same seller is listing a Skywatcher  32mm SWA and saying it weighs in at 550g

The Panaview's do say they are Parfocal, don't know if the others are, but that may be a consideration if you're expecting to do much switching between ep's

Al

The one you see at £109 is with an Ostara 2" Moon / Skyglow filter (£89 for the EP , £20 for the filter)

and includes delivery

Just taken a 32mm SWA out the box . Yes its 550g

Also just checked the 32mm Panaview on the scales. I can confirm its 500g

My 35mm TeleVue Panoptic weights in at 725g.

:lol::D

No wonder I need a counter weight system.

:rofl: