• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

PoTM March Entries

Doc

Post your images here for March 2015, remember, only one image per entrant. You may of course edit your post if you later decide another image is better etc.

Remember to add some detail as to what kit has been used etc.

Good luck!

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Phillyo

My entry for March, taken on the 20th with my Canon 7D and Canon 70-200 F/2.8 II L IS USM lens at 200mm, F32, 1/8000th of a second with a Hoya PROND200 Neutral Density filter on the lens on a normal camera tripod. Stitched together and edited in photoshop.

Phil

16684628660_ec7fe073b1_k.jpgSolar Eclipse by Lilwrighty, on Flickr

Well there is not much time. So get posting your images and make the job

more difficult for the judge :lol:

Edited by Sheila

Go on then :rolleyes:

11070242_10153127781433917_3228038315630

Belper, Canon 300d with sigma 28-300mm lens un modded.

Single shot on a tripod, 30sec @ iso800 unsure of f stop, was the biggest it would go!

Levels and curves in PS5.

Seeing as though there aren't may entries for March...the Large Magellanic Cloud.

Taken on holiday in South Africa

AstroTrac TT320X

Baader Modified Canon 6D

Canon 135mm f/2 L lens @ f/2

21x 30 Second Subs @ ISO1600

20x Bias

20x Darks

20x Flats

Thanks for looking...

16711089849_60008043f9_b.jpgLarge Magellanic Cloud by StuartJPP, on Flickr

• Like 1

Rosette3_zpsi5qpgcgl.png

Test shot with ATIK16hrc and Canon 200mm f4 lens, 2 x 5 minute subs, no calibration.

Here we go then, the recent partial solar eclipse, SW 200P dob with a 13mm TeleVue EP (meant to bring the 35mm Panoptic) and a Astrozap white light solar filter, taken with an IPhone held up to the EP (hence why it's a very dodgy photo) :P

879D4FFC-332D-435A-B387-730D852558AD.jpg

Edited by Daz Type-R

It's nearly the end of the month, any more photo's, surely there's a few more eclipses out there, lets make the judges job really hard.

Of course... a solar eclipse pic. Does this count as one or three? :-)

3 images from the partial solar eclipse March 2015 as seen from Derbyshire UK. Fighting with the cloud a little but it does add a little character/atmosphere.

Taken with a Nikon D5000 and Skywatcher ED80 on an HEQ5 Pro. Images in false colour taken with a white light Baader Solar Filter

16274926964_fc2d492a67_h.jpgPartial Eclipse 2015 by sja88, on Flickr

Steve

Edited by Johnnyaardvark

Guest Kheldar

Here we go then, the recent partial solar eclipse, SW 200P dob with a 13mm TeleVue EP (meant to bring the 35mm Panoptic) and a Astrozap white light solar filter, taken with an IPhone held up to the EP (hence why it's a very dodgy photo) :P

I hate to call you a thieving scrote ... but I think that one was messaged to you :whistle:;) :lol:

https://twitter.com/KheldarUK/status/578841618461097984

Full disclosure though, this was Daz's rig and nudging skills

Does this mean Daz is now an imager? :o:rofl:

Edited by Kheldar

will add this one i was using Daz's equipment and skills :)  I will not judge this one but thought wouold add it to his above

Fully turning to the darkside i feel Daz is :D

post-332-0-43728600-1427586063_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

I hate to call you a thieving scrote ... but I think that one was messaged to you :whistle:;):lol:

https://twitter.com/KheldarUK/status/578841618461097984

Full disclosure though, this was Daz's rig and nudging skills

Does this mean Daz is now an imager? :o:rofl:

Ha ha, while this is true, no where in my post does it say I took it and on that note, that means I'm not an imager!

:P

Ha ha, while this is true, no where in my post does it say I took it and on that note, that means I'm not an imager!

:P

erm that is soooo not true, how long did you spend trying to get an image on your phone :rofl:   imager :D  :D

Guest StevenWhatley

My entry is a another eclipse picture.. I'm calling Lumps & Bumps

I really like that you can see the lunar surface outline with the "lumps & bumps" contrasted against the solar background.

16782895608_6a7c374ebf_b.jpgEclipse by stevenwhatley231284, on Flickr

OK here goes for the first time of judging for me of any images.  

Phillyo

Phil gave us a very impressive eclipse set showing a full set of frames from start to finish and

clouds did not seem to be a problem for him :)

Perkil8r

Mike, I was very impressed that we got Aurora images from Belper :) Not an easy subject to capture in

this country and I was a tad bit envious that i missed it ;)

StuartJPP

Stuart took his portable rig to South Africa, dedication to astronomy is very impressive here :)

The LMC must be a very impressive subject to work with and gave a stunning image with the kit

Andyboy1970

Andy gave us a test shot of 2 x 5 min subs, he does not say what subject but I think it is the Rosette, please

correct me if I am wrong.  Impressive image with such a short amount of data and no calibration.  Cant

wait for the follow ups with more data

Daz Type-R

We have a new imager among  us :D  Nice shot (with assistance) of the eclipse through the eyepiece

on the Dob with an I phone.  Not and easy task!  Amazing what detail you can get from this, nice

capture of a sunspot!  Will expect great things to follow here

Johnnyaardvark

Steve gave us a very nice solar smile here to cheer us all up.  Even the clouds did not obscure 

the smiley face :D

Steven Whatley

Interesting take on the eclipse here, pointing out the lumps and bumps of our near neighbour, the moon.

Judging this was very difficult as all the entries were excellent in their own right for different reasons.

One though, really stuck out to me because of the effort and dedication to astronomy to get the image.

To haul a portable rig half way round the world and set up and get a stunning image really spoke to me.

So you can guess the picture of the month is awarded to StuartJPP for his image of the

Large Megellanic Cloud from South Africa.  Well done to you all and keep the images coming   :thumbsup:

16711089849_60008043f9_b.jpg

Awesome write up Sheila and a very worthy winner.

Congrats to all, keep them coming.

Congrats Stuart, beautiful image. Well done everyone who has been out there imaging. Hope to get some done myself soon ;)

That would have been my choice too.

Top image, very crisp and natural looking.

:headbang:  :headbang:

Refreshing to see something we don't normally get to see.

So much of interest inside the LMC.

Well done Stuart.

As echoed above... a superb image Stuart and thanks for the write-up Sheila! :)   

An excellent summary thanks Sheila, and a stunning winner. Well done Stuart, very nicely done.

Thanks everyone, and thanks for the synopsis Sheila...glad I didn't have the job of choosing.

I missed out on the eclipse by 1 day, should plan holidays a bit better, we did book to go during new moon but didn't check for pending eclipses :rolleyes: However seeing and imaging the LMC and SMC made up for it. I also have to thank my OH, she allowed me to use some (well most) of her hand luggage allowance without which I would have been stuck.

• Like 2