• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Sunco Camera Mod

TasKiNG

I've been looking for a way to video planets without having to use a laptop.

I got a Sunco Dream 2 camera off Amazon. They are basically GoPro copies but priced at only £63.

The front pops off easily and the lens has a 12mm thread so was relatively easy to replace the lens with a 1.25" eyepiece adapter.

The video resolution is 1920x1080 @ 30fps or 1280x720 @ 60fps. It has a built-in LCD and a HDMI output. Battery life is 90 mins and it will work with micro SD cards up to 32Gigabytes.

Here's the before and after pics:-

sunco-dream-2.jpg

cam_mod.jpg

Not tried it at night yet but here's a video of a distant tree through my ED80SF Refractor:-

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/59414211/Astro/SuncoCam/20140603_070449.MOV

I'll add more info once i've tried it out at night.

I tried the modded Sunco camera out tonight on Jupiter and for a first try i'm pretty happy with the results.

I set an ISO of 100 and decreased the exposure slightly. 

I found that even with manual settings the camera did tweak the exposure but this was only noticeable if it drifted off centre.

Here's the image. Stacked in Autostakkert and sharpened in Registax. ( Celestron C8, 3X Barlow )

Jup20140605_115719.jpg

Edited by TasKiNG
  • Like 2

Looking good Dave.

Can it be used with an iPad / iPhone like the Gopros ?

Looking good Dave.

Can it be used with an iPad / iPhone like the Gopros ?

There is no network or bluetooth function so can't be used with iPad. Very clear display though for it's size.

It does have HDMI output so I assume you could connect it to a bigger display whilst recording.

The Sunco camera comes with a waterproof case which I have modified so that the camera with telescope adapter will fit into it.

Obviously not waterproof now but should protect it form the dew and you can also put some red plastic film in the back of the case.

Case.jpg

Edited by TasKiNG

• 2 months later...

This looks good, very tempted indeed.

It would work with my spotting scope as well, like today I saw two black winged Stilts, too far for normal lens but perfect in my spotting scope, put this on and hey presto.

Now that is a great alternative to lugging a pc out everytime, nice one Dave

It would work with my spotting scope as well, like today I saw two black winged Stilts, too far for normal lens but perfect in my spotting scope, put this on and hey presto.

It's great with the grab and go. With no laptop to set up, I can be out and imaging in just a few minutes. Will be interesting to see how well it copes with something small and dimmer like Saturn.

Now that is an idea

Dave this http://sjcamguides.com/sjcam-sj4000-wifi-action-camera-review/looks like your Sunco only with Wifi for remote control -- not sure how nuch control you have over settings . Seems there are a number of clones of clones Dbpower etc. Still if they would work as well and have wifi control brill as grab and go - Did you have to remove any IR filters ?

Dave this http://sjcamguides.com/sjcam-sj4000-wifi-action-camera-review/looks like your Sunco only with Wifi for remote control -- not sure how nuch control you have over settings . Seems there are a number of clones of clones Dbpower etc. Still if they would work as well and have wifi control brill as grab and go - Did you have to remove any IR filters ?

Cool, yea looks like the one I got but updated with WIFI. The only control I have over mine is via the Menus although I've not checked if I can control it via Sharpcap over the USB as this would mean lugging a laptop around again :). Would be great to change settings via a phone app though so might have to look at getting one of these eventually  :)

When I unscrewed the lens the IR filter was part of it so had to put a 1.25" IR filter on the adapter.

Edited by TasKiNG

• 3 weeks later...

Thats a brilliant image you've done of the moon Dave.  :notworthy:

Amazon are listing them at only £45.

Thats a steal, so i've ordered one.

Which adapter do i need....? (12mm - 1.25" ?)  You say its a 12mm thread ?  Where did you source it from ?

Thanks for sharing this btw....

I would imagine it would.

It has the 12mm thread.

Better wait for Dave to offer some advice.

• Like 1

Would this webcam adapter from Altair Astro work ?

http://www.altairastro.com/altair-1.25-webcam-adapter-for-phillips-logitech.html

Hi Rob,  This is the one I bought http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/201372116312

I also bought a good quality  1.25" IR filter to screw on the front of it.

£45 was a great price for the camera. I've been really pleased with mine.

Edited by TasKiNG

Just taken it apart so you can see what is involved:-

The front easily pops off with a little help from a knife blade

SuncoMod1.jpg

Also the black plastic piece from around the lens pops off just as easily

SuncoMod2.jpg

You can now unscrew the lens. Mine was a little bit tight to start with.

SuncoMod3.jpg

I found that if I screwed the adapter all of the way in then it was not perfectly straight so I added a rubber 'O' ring that I got in a pack of assorted rings from B&Q plumbing section. It prevented it going all of the way in, made it nice and sturdy and added a seal between the adapter and the camera body to prevent damp getting in.

SuncoMod4.jpg

SuncoMod5.jpg

Hope this helps

Edited by TasKiNG

Dave : thats a great help thanks.

Really appreciated.

I've ordered the webcam adapter thingy, it should be arriving soon.

This is imaging on the cheap : i like it !  :)