• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Advice on which Bins to buy

Allan the Plumber

Hi just been told I can get a set of moderately priced Bins as I'm am normally atracted to the dark side I need some advise

Good wide field guess not too high magnification and around the £150 to £200 mark

Wife says I've been good bit of a prezzie

Thanks

YOU'VE been good??? ATIK460EX!!!

I've been much better than you, where's MY prezzie?? :)

I think your basic choice is between wide field 10x50s and the narrower view of 15x70s.

You'll see more DSOs with the 15x70s but they are less easy to hold steady and may need a tripod of some sort.

• Like 1

If you don't want a tripod stick to 10x50, anything bigger really does get hard to hold steadier enough to get decent views.

I've always used a brand called Hawke, I found them excellent for the money. I used to have a pair of 10x43 Frontier ED Bins and they were really good for scanning the Milky Way. I think I paid about £300 for mine.

Another one I have used before are the Pentax 20x60 you really need a tripod and they have a slightly narrow FOV but the views are very good indeed.

YOU'VE been good??? ATIK460EX!!!

I've been much better than you, where's MY prezzie?? :)

I think your basic choice is between wide field 10x50s and the narrower view of 15x70s.

You'll see more DSOs with the 15x70s but they are less easy to hold steady and may need a tripod of some sort.

Thanks for inform on Bins concerning the "being good"

As with all large Astro perchases she has no idea and never will do if you get my drift well that's what I tell myself sure she works out the scope camera etc changes lol

If you want to take over from me being good I'll more than happerly swap in the last 2 weeks I've been backwards and forward to her mothers in hospital in Southend and managing to get a full refund on a very over priced steamed hauled trip around the UK

I think I've earned it lol thanks for the help

I may have to PM you just to get a few more ideas if okay but as before I'm happy to swap of if I have to drive the M1 M25 one more time oh yes later today aghhhhhh

I get your drift ;) I like my fifty quid eyepieces :)

See what you mean Allan.

Best wishes for your mother in laws speedy recovery.

• Like 1