• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Just beginning

Guest Dickba

Guest Dickba

Hi Everyone

Just setting up my first scope Nexstar se8. All the fun of it saying its aligned and then not finding anything? Then the clouds come up. So far I have had one view of Jupiter and one of the moon. I fancy it's a long road to proficiency

Dickba

Hi and welcome to EMS.

It can be a very big learning curve but once you know what you are doing it does all fall into place.

Have fun the hard work is worth it.

Hi Alan, welcome aboard. It's a step learning curve but you've come to the right place. Any problems just shout up, someone will know how to help.

Welcome to EMS Alan.

That is a nice scope you have which is capable of showing you loads of interesting stuff. Keep at it and it will all fall into place, then you will get a lot of satisfaction from the hobby :thumbsup:

Guest peepshow

As said, it's a steep learning curve.......I get out of breath climbing mine, and there is more than one.

Keep on going, for I am told that the views from the top of the curves are magnificent. :)

Edited by peepshow

Hi Alan, a warm welcome to EMS.

Stick with it, when you get the wow moments, it's all worth it.

If you find the mount is off, just check through that all the info is entered correctly, sometimes the date has to be put in the American way, check the coordinates are the right way round and so on. If it's anything like me, it's usually human error.

If you get stuck just shout up and someone will be along to help out.

Enjoy the forum. :)

Welcome to EMS Alan, it's a steep learning curve, but you are going in the right direction. Just persist with your kit and it will all come together. Enjoy!

Hi Alan. Welcome. As Martyn said,

"If you find the mount is off, just check through that all the info is entered correctly, sometimes the date has to be put in the American way, check the coordinates are the right way round and so on. If it's anything like me, it's usually human error."

Even after setting up my Go To many times I managed to put the date in wrong! And why is 359 degrees West not the same as 1 degree East??!!! 

Keep at it, there's awesome stuff out there and you have the kit to see it! 

Hi Alan a warm welcome to the EMS, I had a Nexstar 6SE and got my self a GPS for it . It makes a much easer to use,  I now have 8" Evolution and use the GPS on that. I does mean that you can do a 2 star line up and go, When doing this it is best to line 2 up stars from different parts of the sky

Stephen