• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Houston we have a problem.

Graham

The new CCD has turned up a problem with my rig.

If I focus on a star the star looks like a tear drop. With the body of the star perfectly round and the flare / tail protruding from the bottom. Pointing South.

At first I thought it was an issue with the camera.

So I rotate the camera and find the image rotates with it but the flare stays in the same place still pointing South.

This can only mean I have a problem with the GT 81.

I have stuck a laser in the focuser and it is exiting perfectly central through the lens cell.

Any ideas on what it could be.

As you can see the flare is pointing towards the bottom of the picture.

If I rotate the camera through out the entire 360 degrees taking shots all the time the flare stays pointing to the bottom of the picture.

The image which in this cast is Jupiter and her moons rotates with the camera.

IMG282.jpg

Edited by Graham

Issue is not with scope, issue is with imaging train. ie Cam, filters etc. I am guessing something isn't sitting straight

Prey explain.

If its the camera surely the flare would rotate with it ??

Must add

I removed all the filter wheel ect from the train.

The camera is straight into the extension on the focuser.

I was rotating the entire extension with the camera attached

Edited by Graham

Just sticking my 2p's worth in, a quick Google search turns up this issue in camera alignment not being spot on, the other option is something called "Blooming", I`m still not 100% certain what that is but happens on over saturated light sources.

What I have managed to deduce from Google ties into what Steve and Mike said above.

no, the other way round. If you move the camera the artifact will stay in the same direction while the FOV behind it will rotate.

if the flare stays in the same position on the image it has to be somthing that rotates with the camera-cam or fiter

Can you post 2 images taken of same stars but with camera rotated say 180 or 90 degrees between the two

So it is the scope then.

Or to be more precise a miss alignment in the train as opposed to a problem with the camera.

Not to night Mike the clouds are back with a vengence

Edited by Graham

No Probs I will gather some more tomorrow if cloud gods willing.

Thanks folks

When you say you rotate the camera 180 degrees do you rotate the whole focuser or unscrew the camera half a turn on the thread on the end of the focuser draw tube?

My two pence worth - Could be slop/camera not perfectly square to the image train.

Moving the scope to two different targets on either side of the meridian would prove/disprove slop due to camera weight.

Good point Andy. I was thinking similar that the camera might not be screwed on square.

Is there a trial copy of CCD Inspector. Doesn't that check image plane flatness?

Hi Folks.

Thanks for all the replies.

Now I have had a chance to think in the cold light of day you are of course completely correct Mike and Steve.

The artefact must be on the camera.

Spent a long time last night investigating Blooming and have sent a mail to SX to see if there is any thing that can be tweaked inside to camera to boost up the anti blooming feature.

I made a new extension at work today so I can wind the focus tube right back into the scope to try and eliminate any flex in that part.

Supposed to be clear here tonight so I will try it again with the new extension.

Watch this space. 

As an update I have just spoken to SX on the phone and the guy has told me how to adjust the anti blooming.

Now thats what I call customer service.

Good on you Starlight Express. :2thumbsup:

Errrr, I called that........     :frantic::rofl:

Look at that, a non imager interfering with a AP question and getting it correct......

:rofl:

:facepalm: :facepalm:

Look at that, a non imager interfering with a AP question and getting it correct......

Sorry missed that bit,

You did indeed Daz.

Top marks  :notworthy:  :notworthy:  :notworthy:

i think google called it :harhar: