• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

22° Halo With Sun Dogs...

StuartJPP

That is a cracking image Stuart. I've seen them a couple of times but to catch an image like that is brilliant!

Anyone know a song with sun dogs in the lyrics??

How about Chain Lightning by Rush :)

Only Rush could write such lyrics, but maybe someone knows of another.

Amazing picture, it must have been a weird experience! You did well to capture it.

How long did it last for Stuart?

Thanks everyone!

Amazing picture, it must have been a weird experience! You did well to capture it.
How long did it last for Stuart?

Steve, the sun dogs themselves lasted approx three quarters of an hour with varying degrees of brightness, however the complete halo was only around for a few minutes. I was driving the car when the OH first noticed "those sun things" but we were about 5 minutes from our destination. By the time I had pulled in and grabbed the camera the full halo had started to form. Finding a decent spot to image from so that I could get the whole halo and both dogs was a bit of a mission.

I have seen two full halos before at Gibraltar point, obviously earlier in the day when the sun was higher in the sky, the conditions have to be correct of course, hazy and sunny...

• Like 1

Thanks Stuart, very interesting!

Thanks for that!

Cheers!