• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Welcome to the new Solar Board.

Doc

Just to let everyone know we have a new board dedicated to Solar Astronomy so please use this for anything regarding imaging techniques, observing discussions and reports, and of course any discussions regarding solar equipment.

Edited by Doc

There are a lot more members interested now, it seems to be increasing in popularity.

• 10 months later...
Guest Dave Amendall

I use a 5" Skywatcher Evostar refractor and an orion Solar filter. I also have a Baader solar filter fitted to the 50ml Finderscope which makes the sun easy to locate. The visual views are excellent at most magnifications but the pics are only average largely due to the fact that the Evostar is not really intended for astrophotography. (You need the ED version) The Orion solar filter is good for viewing sunspots and gave great views of the eclipse as well  It does give an opportunity to use astronomical equipment during the day and offers an alternative to night observation so well worthwhile

Dave

I had one of those annoyingly busy days. It would have been ideal to snap the Sun using my 127 Maksutov and then my PST but I just had time for one binocular scan. Am I frustrated that I cannot afford a 60mm or larger solar scope or fortunate that I can see anything at all, as I have PST? Well a bit of both.

On night time observing, I'd like better gear but, honestly, there's plenty I can do with what I've got. Even if I had a "perfect" imaging set-up I wouldn't get long enough clear spells to use it.

Now if someone gave me a 60mm solar scope ...