• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Remote connection.

Nelson

Hi I have asked this question times but not had a definitive answer so I still don't know if I can achieve what I want.

I have an eq3-2 deluxe mount with goto and a HP laptop, what I want to do is connect the laptop to the mount in order to be able to control my mount from inside the house. I have Stellarium loaded onto the laptop. What cable do I need, what other software or anything else I may need. I think I can plug the cable into the synscan hand control and the other end into my laptop. My telescope is an Explore Scientific 80 ED APO. Please help, can I do it or not?

Hi Melvin,

I am not an imager so don't know all the facts, but one of our admins did a guide many moons ago, in the first few pages he talks about how to connect the guide cam and mount to the laptop, here is the post......

http://www.eastmidlandsstargazers.org.uk/topic/2560-auto-guiding-guide/

You say you want to run the rig from your house, so you will probably need powered USB leads and or boosters as the distance could be too far for a standard USB cable to send the data. The greater the distance, the more signal noise / connection issues you may face, keep all connections as short as you can.

Anyway, like I said, I'm not an imager so will leave it up to those in the know to advise, I just thought this would give you a starter for ten.

Good luck.

Edited by Daz Type-R

Guest peepshow

If you search utube for such words as 'Controlling telescope from Stellarium'  or such, you will find quite a few videos on how to control your mount from Stellarium.  

Here's one video fro starters for you........

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DUdYv311HFw

Edited by peepshow

Very useful, thanks Richard. :thumbsup:

I have bookmarked that video and will have a go at rigging Stellarium up with both the AZ goto and the dob.

Cheers.

Thanks for your replies, all very useful info. I will need about 20meters of cable but I am still in the dark as to what type of cable,extensions fittings to attach to my eq3-2 mount and laptop as well as the best place to get everything from. Initially I want to just observe and once I am used to using the setup I will then try AP. So, can I try this remote method with the mount I have and what will I need. I have many questions on this subject and if possible I would like to have it sorted before the end of summer. Please help.

Hi Melvin

If you just want to connect the laptop to the Handset you need a USB to RJ45 ( I think its RJ45 ) lead.

You will have to change the setting in the handset to PC Control using the handset's menu .

I have the lead you require in a draw here somewhere.

My lead is an old one so you will need to have a serial port or a USB to serial port adapter.

If it is any good to you then you are more than welcome to it.

handset%20lead%202.jpg

handset%20lead%201.jpg

Edited by Graham

Hi Graham thanks for the info and pics, I will keep in mind your offer. I have a connector that was supplied with my scope, I have only just found it after watching the video posted above. What I am now stuck with is that the nine pin connector has two screws that go into the laptop, it is this that I will need to get an adaptor for so that I can fit it into the use port on the laptop. I have looked for the correct one but they all have these two screws, what I need is one that I can screw into but where can I get one or do I modify it somehow? How do I upload pics to this forum from my iPad, pics may help to better understand what I'm trying to say about the screws.

I have just watched the above video and I must say it clears a few things up for me. Thanks for posting it.

Your Welcome, it helped me a lot too, he explains it in "my language"  :)

all the best

Wayne

Guest peepshow

If you have the synscan manual which comes with the EQ3 pro mount, on page 3 and 11 are some details on connecting it all up.

Some guys (like me) use older laptops which  already have a serial port so no extra USB adaptor is required in order to connect the handset to the laptop.   (That's the RS232 to RJ11 cable supplied with the mount)

Richard i dont suppose you have ever found a 10m male RS232 to RJ11 cable on your travels by any chance?, i am also using an older laptop and the serial port is a female port as is the skywatcher lead but dont want any more adapters/add-ons/male-female converters or anything else for that matter  :) 

Or 10m USB to RJ11 and cut out the middle man..if such a cable will work?

Hi Graham thanks for the info and pics, I will keep in mind your offer. I have a connector that was supplied with my scope, I have only just found it after watching the video posted above. What I am now stuck with is that the nine pin connector has two screws that go into the laptop, it is this that I will need to get an adaptor for so that I can fit it into the use port on the laptop. I have looked for the correct one but they all have these two screws, what I need is one that I can screw into but where can I get one or do I modify it somehow? How do I upload pics to this forum from my iPad, pics may help to better understand what I'm trying to say about the screws.

See this thread for uploading images

http://www.eastmidlandsstargazers.org.uk/topic/8110-uploading-images-to-a-forum-the-easy-way/?hl=%20uploading%20%20images

Richard i dont suppose you have ever found a 10m male RS232 to RJ11 cable on your travels by any chance?, i am also using an older laptop and the serial port is a female port as is the skywatcher lead but dont want any more adapters/add-ons/male-female converters or anything else for that matter  :) 

See here for a male to male connector 

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/like/111619479997?limghlpsr=true&hlpv=2&ops=true&viphx=1&hlpht=true&lpid=108&chn=ps&device=c&rlsatarget=&adtype=pla&crdt=0&ff3=1&ff11=ICEP3.0.0-L&ff12=67&ff13=80&ff14=108&ff19=0

Jesus....this connecting lark is just getting easier..Thanks guys, both will come in handy  ;)

Guest peepshow

I might have this wrong but why do you need a long connection from the laptop to the handset?

Surely, the handset will be indoors next to the laptop as mine is, so the serial cable supplied is long enough.

I use the EQ3 pro with goto controlled from indoors and the  cable to connect to the mount outdoors is from the handset 

RJ45 socket, using the black curly cable supplied.

This is the cable which is extended to outside and which then plugs into the motor control box on the mount.

................The connection lark continues. :)

Hi Richard I'm really confused now, the black curly cable on my synscan, the one that goes from the hand controller too the black box, where you turn the unit on and off, measures about 1 meter or just over. Is there another black cable because if so I don't have one. The distance from the mount to indoors would be around 6 meters.

As Richard has said.

You can do it this way round, it is how I run my 10 inch Meade.

As you want it to be 6m long remove the curly lead and buy yourself a Telephone handset extension lead.

Just make sure the RJ45 connectors are wired exactly the same way both ends.

Edited by Graham

According to that tube video the lead that comes with the scope "RJ-11 to serial i think" connects to the handset next to the curly cable by means of the RJ-11, extension from the other end "serial" to the laptop indoors/shed, then the mount is controlled from the laptop so no need for the handset...unless i have it all wrong in which case the scope is sold and im taking up synchronized swimming  :D

Connection Lark???...please be solved  :unsure:

According to that tube video the lead that comes with the scope "RJ-11 to serial i think" connects to the handset next to the curly cable by means of the RJ-11, extension from the other end "serial" to the laptop indoors/shed, then the mount is controlled from the laptop so no need for the handset...unless i have it all wrong in which case the scope is sold and im taking up synchronized swimming  :D

Connection Lark???...please be solved  :unsure:

You have that perfectly incorrect, :rofl: 

You still need the handset in the equation.

The handset is 'set' to pc direct.

If you wish to loose the handset completely then you need a different lead and a whole new set of problems.

but if you want to keep your handset in the dry then you can replace the curly lead which goes to the mount with a longer lead.

Re my last about the extension lead.

Edited by Graham

Graham if i did it that way am i right in assuming that all alignment etc has to be done first then remove the handset once complete?

Edited by Brady

Graham i dont want to lose the handset...the handset stays where it is..just not use it..

Edited by Brady

To explain.

Computer ---- serial plug ---- RJ11 plug --- Handset --- Black curly lead ---- Mount.