• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Remote connection.

Nelson

Graham if i did it that way am i right in assuming that all alignment etc has to be done first then remove the handset once complete?

The handset is never removed. The handset translates the output messages from your computer into the pulses that drive your Mounts motors.

Its been a long time since I did things this way but from memory you do your 3 star alignment using the handset in normal mode.

Then change the setting in the handset to PC direct mode and plug it into the PC so your astro program can drive it. 

Guest peepshow

No Melvin, there is only the short black cable supplied and this is this one I extend to outside. (only 2M in my case)

I have found that it's best to have the handset indoors because when I control my mount with Stellarium, when I goto to an object, sometimes the mount tends to go off in a direction I do not wish it to.

(probably trying to flip which I do never require in my camera only rig)

If the handsdet is at hand one can quickly use its 4 direction buttons to overide Stellarium and force the mount to take another direction to get to the object selected.

Many others do not use the handset at all as you may know, but use EQMOD instead.

But that is another story I have never ventured into.

BTW I have never had to put the handset into PC direct mode as it works OK for me

as it is.

Edited by peepshow

No Melvin, there is only the short black cable supplied and this is this one I extend to outside. (only 2M in my case)

I have found that it's best to have the handset indoors because when I control my mount with Stellarium, when I goto to an object, sometimes the mount tends to go off in a direction I do not wish it to.

(probably trying to flip which I do never require in my camera only rig)

If the handsdet is at hand one can quickly use its 4 direction buttons to overide Stellarium and force the mount to take another direction to get to the object selected.

Many others do not use the handset at all as you may know, but use EQMOD instead.

But that is another story I have never ventured into.

BTW I have never had to put the handset into PC direct mode as it works OK for me

as it is.

I think that is a wise idea to be honest, thanks Richard/Graham for the replys....im going to go with that plan instead, the idea was to be outside in the shed when connected up to the webcam just in case but with easier access to the "Emergency Stop button :) " the shed has changed to a warm conservatory with tea on tap...

Hello Richard would it be possible for me to come over to see this setup in situ as I really cannot envisage the setup. If it is possible please give a time and date as well as address.

To explain.

Computer ---- serial plug ---- RJ11 plug --- Handset --- Black curly lead ---- Mount.

Not if you don't have a db9 serial port on your laptop it then goes

Laptop  usb port to plug in usb to serial adapter (please get FDTI one if using Windows 7 ,8,10)   - example FDTI  link on fleabay http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/FTDI-USB-to-DB9-Serial-Port-Adapter-Cable-2m-long-/400877968987?_trksid=p2054897.l4275

then Serial --rj11 (cable as supplied with mount) --- handset - black curly lead ---mount

or to really confuse you there is the bluetooth version

or then there's the wireless Ethernet version

or the no handset version with EQMOD and some other extra's    :facepalm:  :rofl:  :rofl:  :rofl:

Using first method and Graham's suggestion using rj45 cable (buy straight thru(patch cable) ALL pins for pin cables with plug attached) and two DB9/RJ45 will get your the distance - link for adapters  http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/9-Pin-Serial-DB9-RS232-Female-to-RJ45-Network-Female-Socket-Adapter-Connecter-/400633979505?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item5d47a56271 buy male/female as required.  ;http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/10M-30FT-RJ45-Cat5e-Ethernet-Network-LAN-Cable-Patch-Lead-/281693465414?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item41963d2b46

You will need to find what com port number has been given so to put the details into Stellarium 

have fun

Guest peepshow

Sorry, no visitors, Melvyn. Too old now to entertain.

But it really isn't too difficult to get the wiring and Stellarium right,
what with advice on this forum and videos on utube and searching google as well.

If you find that difficult, wait until you start imaging.........you ain't seen nothing yet ! :D

As Stash said, "Have fun," :)

Guest peepshow

I did a quick search of google for 'Stellarium telescope control'and quickly found this explanation on an astro forum, which is easy to undersrand.  Although it's not  for a  Skywatcher scope, the principle is the same.

Hope this helps.............

Perform your normal alignment routine so the scope has a good sky model to work from.
Connect the RS-232 cable to the USB adapter, then plug the telephone-type jack on the RS-232 cable into the hand controller - it goes in the bottom next to where the cable from the mount goes into the controller.
Open up Stellarium and go to the configuration screen (F2 or the wrench icon on the left pop-out menu), click on the Plugins tab and click on Telescope Control. Toward the bottom of that window activate the 'Load at startup' option, then close out the window and close Stellarium. You'll open it again in a bit and it needs to be restarted for the change to take effect.
Plug the USB adapter into the computer, go to 'Devices and Printers' and make note of which comm port the USB adapter is listed on.
Now restart Stellarium and navigate back to the Telescope Control plugin and click on the 'configure' button. In the next screen you only need to change a couple of items in the lower section. First you can give your scope a unique name (if you want), then scroll down and enter the comm port number you made note of earlier in the 'serial number' box and make sure that 'Celestron Nexstar (compatible)' is the device model selected. Everything else can stay the same. Click OK to accept these changes and close this top window.
Now in you telescope list you should see your scope as #1, if you don't try shutting down and restarting Stellarium. If you see your scope listed click on it and then click on the 'Start' button. Once the program has established communication with the scope it should say 'Connected'.
At this point you should be able to left-click on a target in Stellarium, then press Ctrl+1 to tell the scope to slew to that object. If everything is working properly you'll see your target in the FOV of a low- to medium-power eyepiece.

You don't need to download any other software, although Stellariumscope gives you a few extra options that the telescope plugin doesn't offer.

Another tip that worked for me is that Stellarium is not very Windows friendly(you have to use ALT and TAB to swop windows - unless someone knows another way? - F11 didn't help) and doesn't adhere to the std as far as resizing windows are concerned. Even though you may not be using EQMOD yet if you download Stellarium Scope(this is not Stellarium but an Add-on(?)) you can make Stellarium itself behave better as you can alter "windows" parameters. Once the configuration settings have been saved in Stellarium Scope you don't need to load it again and F11(full screen) works - its a one off - until /if you go EQMOD later.

There is most likely a configuration file you could edit to do the same thing but I was to lazy to find it  :facepalm:

Guest peepshow

Heads down..........That's not the right cable if one wishes to have the PC and handset indoors together

with the mount  away outside.

That particular cable puts the mount and handset together remote from the PC.

Heads down..........That's not the right cable if one wishes to have the PC and handset indoors together

with the mount  away outside.

That particular cable puts the mount and handset together remote from the PC.

That's is true Richard  - misread the earlier bit. But doesn't that mean inputting the date/time etc twice or dragging the long cable up and down the garden. Might be ok for 2m like yours ?

OK just had a look at my handset to remind myself - Mount port on Handset is rj45 so

Simple solution is just

1. Cat5 patch cable(or straight thru) 8 pins are pin for pin - make sure that all 8 pins are wired - length as required.

2.Inline RJ45 lan extender (inline couple) like this http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Gold-Plated-RJ45-Cat5e-Network-LAN-Extender-In-line-Cable-Joiner-Connector-UK-/361143031699?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item5415cd5793

a. connect existing mount cable(rj45 end that normally goes into handset) into one end of the inline coupler(as item2 above)

b. connect patch cable (item 1 above) into other end of inline coupler

c. connect other end of patch cable into handset.

d. Use elastic band to keep the two cables going into the inline coupler from popping out. Though they should click if push in correctly.

No need to make cable and get the wiring wrong (especially the 12v supply), no splicing ,simple.

Then you just need to connect the rj11 port on the handset with your existing Handset to PC cable to a Serial port(DB9 if you have one on your laptop) or get a usb to serial(usb to DB9) lead and fit as per Richard's instructions above.

If it doesn't work take up swimming as you said  :D but it will work

Guest peepshow

Yes, that's it Clive. 

In my case a bought a standard 2M ethernet cable with a built in female socket at one end that the

black curly lead plugged into.  Other end plugged into the mount...........ebay of course.

I hope that Melvyn has sorted it all out now, after this long saga. :)

Now what kind of cable do we need in order to get rid of all these clouds? :D

Hello. Everyone I purchased a 10 metre cable using the link provided by Brady, thank you, the only problem is that I cannot download the relevant drivers, it must be sending Audra .......... Mad. I have done a diagnostic on my laptop and it says my ADT/VTI has stopped working so I'm going to have to get that sorted. I have also purchased a cable for my camera (Canon 600d) but the software to control the camera (Canon Utilities) is also playing up in that the buttons for focus are greyed out and I cannot find a way of focussing the camera other than manually. I know it is a steep learning curve but every time I try to do something I hit yet another wall. I am computer illiterate so sorting the laptop will cost a few bob, money I could have spent driving into a wall!!!!

what op sys are you using ?

Serial cable ? cables just carry signals/power the hardware they are connected too!

I presume one end of the cable fits into the Handset ?

The other directly into the laptop/PC - what is the port type USB or DB9 Serial

Have you a link to where you got the cable?

If we can we might be able to save you the IT costs  :D

Guest peepshow

Hello. Everyone I purchased a 10 metre cable using the link provided by Brady, thank you, the only problem is that I cannot download the relevant drivers, it must be sending Audra .......... Mad. I have done a diagnostic on my laptop and it says my ADT/VTI has stopped working so I'm going to have to get that sorted. I have also purchased a cable for my camera (Canon 600d) but the software to control the camera (Canon Utilities) is also playing up in that the buttons for focus are greyed out and I cannot find a way of focussing the camera other than manually. I know it is a steep learning curve but every time I try to do something I hit yet another wall. I am computer illiterate so sorting the laptop will cost a few bob, money I could have spent driving into a wall!!!!

Don't give up. I've been struggling on and off for 2 years now. Mostly on.    So my new hobby now is struggling. :)

I too am PC illiterate, so don't give up.

There are pleny of guys on this forum who have been through the 'struggling mill' and are ready to help.

Re focusing. Try a trail version of backyardEOS (google it) which has a very good focus section.  The full version is very cheap and well worth the money as you can image with it and drift align too etc.

Drivers were invented just  to drive one nuts. :D

Hi, the operating system you are referring to on my laptop Windows 7 on my eq3-2mount I have the synscan which comprises a hand controller and another box where I turn it on / off. The cable to the scope via the hand controller has a telephone type jack on one end and a female serial plug that fits onto the cable that came with the scope that goes into the laptop this has a usb plug. It is this cable that requires the drivers. But when I try to open the link, sent by Audra Durbezeva from the company I purchased it from (see Brady on page two of this post) the laptop sends a message saying 'general failure link not recognised'. Audra has tried the link on a few other pc's with no problem. I am currently using my iPad but have tried the link on my laptop, as that is what I propose to use. I have sorted the issue with Canon Utilities where I can now focus using the buttons on the screen, turn on the 'af' on the camera lens click on the magnification button on the laptop and the focus buttons work, once focus is achieved turn the lens back to manual. I intend to purchase Backyard EOS once everything else is sorted.

Thanks for your time and comments, knowing there is help keeps me going.

" But when I try to open the link, sent by Audra Durbezeva from the company I purchased it from (see Brady on page two of this post) the laptop sends a message saying 'general failure link not recognised'. Audra has tried the link on a few other pc's with no problem. I am currently using my iPad but have tried the link on my laptop, as that is what I propose to use."

I think its your laptop browser giving you the message because the HTTP link is incorrect or you can't access the web or its being blocked by anti virus. I can't make out the USB/Serial Adapter and the guys ebay site doesn't say anything helpful.

OR could be a link in Outlook or other email program where the link is !

Have you got the link this guy has sent and I will download the file and pass it via google drive(if its not too big!) . It should be the driver for the USB/Serial adapter which should be loaded onto your PC so windows can find it when you plug in the device.

Use copy and paste to copy the link if the link is in an email

Edited by Doc
Removed format to get rid of the white boxes surrounding the text

Cheers Clive just let me have your email and I'll do my best to send it to you. Yes the link is in the emails sent to me, but I don't not know how to cut and copy into this forum, hence I need your email. Thanks for doing this.

Melvin

Edited by Nelson

pm 'd you with my email address  :)

Edited by stash