• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Archimedes 26.05.15

Doc

Went out last night and spent over 2 hours just going up and down the terminator. Started to do the Lunar 100 again but this time with the Esprit 120 Triplet instead of the 16" Dob, we will see how far I get.

Done a quick sketch of Archimedes using the 7mm Uwan and a 6mm University Ortho.

eZvcwm.jpg

Between watching the moon had the occasional look at Jupiter and saw a transit across the surface.

All in all an excellent night.

Edited by Doc

Hi Mick, lovely sketch, I really must have a go at sketching...

I was looking at this area too last night, Archimedes, Aristillus, Cassini, the detail in Mare Imbrium was brill.

I was particularly fascinated by the inverted 'tick' shape just north of Archimedes (it was south in my scope, and so it looked like a tick mark) it was just that bit further north than the area shown in your sketch. Did you notice it? I had not noticed it before ( it's fair to say I have not noticed a lot of things on the moon :-). ).

The moon looked better last night, less boiling and less cloud than 2 days ago but it is higher.

I too had a look at Jupiter ( and Saturn) but seeing was not too good, though I did see the grs on Jupiter...

It was a good night...

Not sure if I noticed it or not Stephen but I do agree the seeing was much better last night.

There is so much difference between the 16" dobsonian and the 5" refractor. Of course the 16" goes deeper and you can make out a lot more objects, for instance I tried looking for a few Rilles and Rimae which I could see in the 16" and could not in the 5".

The refractor does give a sharper and more contrasty view though, something I'm enjoying.

I thought I saw the GRS but not sure as Jupiter was getting low by then and was bubbling a bit.

Did you see the transit Stephen? As I definitely saw a black disc on the surface, but am doubting myself a little now.

Edited by Doc

Hi, I was out the last couple of nights with my refractor,I too had really had very good views of both the moon and Jupiter, I could'nt tell if the GRS was visible or not but it was very clear with the four moons visible on Monday night, when I was looking at the moon I also consentrated on the top horizon of the moon and think I could just make what appeared to my inexperienced eyes a small range of mountains showing up against the blackness behind, I'm not sure if this is what was but it was a first for me.

Rick

Not sure if I noticed it or not Stephen but I do agree the seeing was much better lastnight.

Did you see the transit Stephen? As I definitely saw a black disc on the surface, but am doubting myself a little now.

Hi Mick, I went out purposefully to view the moon, but because it is so bright I worked my way to it via Saturn and Jupiter first to check out seeing etc. I was using my 10" cat and mainly the 20mm Nag, though I tried the 7mm Pentax too, so I wasn't on Jupiter longer than 15 mins about 11.00pm. So no,I did not make out any transit etc, though I could discern (poorly) the GRS.

Aren't you tempted to get your 12" dob out at the same time to compare the views? I would be interested to hear your findings, it would make a very interesting post...

Cheers.