We politely request that members refrain from discussing politics and/or the Brexit debate on East Midlands Stargazers. Let's keep it to the topic at hand... Clouds. ☁️

• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

Test

Sign in to follow this  
Zarak

A big hello to everyone

Zarak

Hi,

I am completely new to the world of astronomy. Me and my 9 year old have developed a great interest in sky watching. We want to know more about the planets, stars, galaxies and nebulae and was pleasantly surprised when we came across this community! Just wondering whether children are allowed to come to the meetings since we would love to benefit from speaking to people who know so much more. Where we both can learn, stay amused and not find ourselves confused by difficult terminology. We would love to know about getting a really good telescope.  

Thank you

Mobeen

Doc

Welcome to EMS.

Children are allowed but they must be under your supervision. Remember there are telescopes worth many thousands of pounds and to run these telescopes normally requires electricity so there will be wires across the floor and many other trip hazards.

It will be dark so we only use red torches so to preserve our night vision, which again is a risk especially to children.

Keep a look out on the forums for the next meet, due to weather they are normally on an ad hoc type basis. Your first visit is free to see if you enjoy it and then we ask you to join our dark site membership which is £20 a year.

But do feel free to ask any questions you have on the forum. I'm sure you will get many replies.

Edited by Doc

Zarak

Thank you very much Mick for a very warm welcome. Gosh you are right about the expensive telescopes and the possible trip hazards. I will certainly be mindful of that. But anyways thank you for the information which has been very helpful.

Mobeen

Daz Type-R

Hi Mobeen, welcome to the forum.

The weather at the minute is playing havoc with trying to arrange meets, that and the fact we are getting into summer means the dark nights are getting shorter and shorter.

Hopefully there will be a meet soon.

Hope you enjoy the forum.

tuckstar

Hi welcome aboard. As well as ems there are many local societies around the Midlands who are happy to welcome new members and keep us interested during the light summer nights.

Zarak

Thank you everyone for your warm wishes. This seems like the start of a brilliant journey :D

Smithysteve

Hi Mobeen, welcome aboard, I wish you both a brilliant journey! Enjoy!

Edited by Smithysteve

BAZ

Hi Mobeen, a warm welcome to EMS.

A pair of binoculars is a cost effective way of getting going. A pair of 10X50's steadied on a clean upturned yard brush will just about get you the moons of Jupiter. The Milky Way in summer is something you can just get lost in for a good while, and finding some of the brighter objects is not too difficult from darker skies.

If you don't already have it, then download Stellarium, this a great free planetarium program.

http://www.stellarium.org/

and a user guide.

http://www.stellarium.org/wiki/index.php/Stellarium_User_Guide

Enjoy the forum. :)

Stephen

Hi welcome to the EMS

Stephen