• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Obsy

Celeste

I can't see a place to put this so hope it's OK to put it in here being as it is kinda DIY lol....well I have been thinking about an obsy (not in the very near future though) so I don't have to keep setting up and taking down....now I have looked at Sky shed pods....but they are £££ also looked at converting a shed BUT my DIY skills are very lacking! Have any of you guys done it yourself? Is it easy? One other idea is off SGL, someone used a plastic bike store on casters to house the pier....rather good and cheap....I need to save up so it will take me a while! Any other ideas?

When I was considering it I was going to sink a pier into the ground then have a plastic shed on sliders to roll over the top of it and secure it down with ratchet straps.

hi Celeste,

i`m in the same frame of mind as you, i`ve actually bought a second hand roll off roof obsy i found on e bay, think i paid £300 fro it it`s 10` x 8`. it was a cow to take down and cart away, it`s been in the garden for a year now still in bits as i`ve had other things to do, but planning to get it set up by early next, year.

all i need now is a concrete slab layed and a pier from which i`m making one from 6" or 8" plastic drainage pipe filled with concrete and a pier mount which i already purchased from a SGL member.

all in all i think i should be all finished for £600 to £700. which isn`t too bad as a normal shed on it`s own can cost that much for a new one.

once i get underway i`ll but photo`s up of the build.

P.S. if your considering a plastic type shed have a word with "Ibbo" (Steve) he has one which he might take a picture of for you. i`ve seen it and it looks great for leaving the gear set up in, then it`s just a question of removing the roof when your observing.

Edited by red dwalf

Keep us updated on your progress please Rob...would love to see what goes into doing this kind of thing. I can't find the thread now :huh: I'm sure they used a plastic bike store that rolled away from the pier, cheap at £45 :lol:

I'll be watching too. It would be a little grand to call what I've been considering an observatory, more an outdoor storage solution.

Found the link to the thread in SGL, HERE it's a wheelie bin store not bike store lol....well it looks the same :D

Edited by Celeste

It's a good idea, but they are not secure, we have one that Krys keeps her gardening tools in, we don't lock it as it would cause more damage if they got in, and they would, no problem.

To be fair though its weather proof, hasn't blown away in the gales, and doesn't seem to let water in.

Hi celeste, I built my own roll off roof obs from scratch mainly because of the price of ready mades and/or modifying a standard shed. Plastic tool sheds as roll off are quite novel and a good idea but what has already been mentioned is the question of security. Would you trust your scope to be left out with just a plastic shed round it.

Phil

I have thought about security, but how secure are wooden sheds? if someone wants your kit, would a wooden shed won't stop them :(

It's such a minefield, I'm not sure what to do for the best. I had thought about making 3 small sunk in concrete 'rounds' with dimples in for the mount legs, so each time I set up all I have to do is locate the legs in the dimples and I should be pretty much aligned...would that work? I am having trouble with pain lately, this thyroid thing is giving me hell in my muscles and joints :( I just want to make it easier for myself.

Found the link to the thread in SGL, HERE it's a wheelie bin store not bike store lol....well it looks the same :D

Thats the one I was thinking of Nicky, I actually think it looks rather neat and the best thing is it is pretty cheap.

Guest Bryndalf

Just be careful of these plastic sheds, Ive had a couple (Inc that exact one) and they aren't as tough as they look. They are very light and the doors are held by plastic sockets that are quite thin and break easily. I suppose being just an enclosure they will be OK and wont take the abuse it would get as a normal shed/storage bin (Mine are used for recycling bins etc)

Edited by Bryndalf

• 3 weeks later...

Fitted wheels and track (eventually) just need some fine tuning and to fit a 'skirt' around the bottom edge.

Worked out fitting a large fold-down shelf (for laptop) and various hooks storage etc..

Edited by Ron Clarke

Hi Rob, I used 25mm cable channeling,(B&Q), I had to reduce the height on one side, I have 3 small wheels each side and the plastic channeling (Duct?) screwed to the decking.

http://www.eastmidlandsstargazers.org.uk/gallery/image/134-rings/

http://www.eastmidlandsstargazers.org.uk/gallery/image/135-ed80atik3/

Almost finished obsy today but rain stopped play! Fitted a fold down shelf (for laptop etc) complete with 3 x 1.25" holes for EP's.
Need to fit 2 more wheels though to keep it straight when I move it back and forth! Edited by Ron Clarke