• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Removeable Pier

wolfman_55

Hi All,

Summers upon us, time to improve my set up. This summer I want to get another pier put in the decking so I can image with two scopes at the same time. Mrs Rose is keen that the decking can still be used for non astro things however. So I'm planning a removeable pier:

mount_zpsgbga4p4g.jpg

It consists of two car brake discs, 1m of 160mm underground pipe, and 4off 12mm threaded rods. I intend to have another brake disc set in concrete under the decking and accessible via a trap door. Alignment is maintained by 2 off 10mm dowels at each end.

The pier will be held on the lower brake disc with 3 off 12mm wings nuts. The HEQ5 and its mounting plate will be attached in a similar way on top. I've made up a wiring loom and power supply.

Brake discs are unbelieveably cheap. I got a brand new pair for £15 delivered on fleabay. I already use one on my EQ6 as a mounting plate.

If nothing else, it looks like a nuclear component stolen by Scaramanga in a James Bond film, just hoping it will be stiff enough when its finished.

Best wishes

Dave

• Like 2

Well it sure looks the part.

Are you going to fill the tube with sand as well for added stability and dampening power.

That looks great Dave and some good info on construction materials.

Well it sure looks the part.

Are you going to fill the tube with sand as well for added stability and dampening power.

I hope I don't have to, but I don't really know. If its not rigid enough, I'll fill it with concrete.

Dave

I hope I don't have to, but I don't really know. If its not rigid enough, I'll fill it with concrete.

Dave

If you fill it with concrete, it might not be so removable as you think and you might be in bother with the Mrs......

:lol::D

If you fill it with concrete, it might not be so removable as you think and you might be in bother with the Mrs......

:lol::D

No change there then...... :facepalm2:

Looks very impressive, I like the use of the brake discs and the threaded rod. Are you sure it's not radioactive? 💀💥😄

Dave

you could use Lightweight concrete to reduce the weight for moving but keep the structural strength  ;) 

• 2 months later...

Hi All,

Sorry its been so long, but I've finally finished (apart from painting) my new pier. I'll take some more piccies and post them if anyone's interested. In the meantime, I measured the set up time - 6 minutes, which I thought wasn't too bad.

Here's the evidence:

https://youtu.be/b7mDkl3g5Fk

All comments gratefully received.

Dave

That's just brilliant! It looks like it doesn't take long to sort out, so I suppose everyone is happy. 

Thanks all. Yes I'm chuffed. 6 minutes to fit the mount, add the scope, add a guide scope, connect the QHY8L and QHY5L, add the heater and dew shield. Then into the shed to switch on the computer and get going.

I'm going to use this set up to do widefield while my main scope is doing deep space imaging next to it. I've got two old Dell PC's in the shed to control them both and collect the images.

Hopefully I can be much more productive in the few clear nights we seem to get at the moment.

Dave

• Like 2