• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

My Vintage Celestron C8 2000mm f/10

Well, I finally got to really use my scope and I'm very please with the results:) The skywatcher 32mm work surprisingly well and produced a clear image, but the hyperion had super clarity, although I feel it was too much at x200 mag.

image.jpg1_zpskkbwq9an.jpg

Edited by M__

I'm looking at investing in a cheap digital camera, any ideas? I can fit the camera direct to hyperion after I split it? How is magnification?

Thanks in advance if anyone has the time to explain to me haha

WOW!

I've just had a really good look at Saturn, got a clear view for about 20 minutes.

I'm excited because it's the first time that I've ever seen it through a telescope:)

• Like 2

Congrats Martin - that's your initiation ceremony over - you're a real amateur astronomer now lol. Saturn is always a jaw dropper - and still is whenever I see it - well done!. :)

Edited by Brantuk
  • Like 2

I've just added a few more bits to my collection....

Nirvana 16mm uwa 82 and went for the budget way of turning my 10mm into a 8mm by using a 14mm ring. I'm looking forward to testing the 16mm out on the moon later (hopefully)

It's too murky out there, but my eyes are not suited to this eyepiece, the missus says its exceptional for her. I wear contacts and have astigmatism, maybe this is the reason? I'm sticking by the really large lens eyepiece as they seem to work. In short, I'm somewhat underwhelmed by the Nivarna eyepiece!

Anyone here have an opinion for this eyepiece?

Edited by M__

Hi, that's a shame but was not totally unexpected, I think most of us visual types have been in this situation before.

Like mentioned in the very first reply of this thread (which you started) EP's are a very personal choice, as demonstrated by the fact your missus thinks it's fantastic where as you can't get on with it......

http://www.eastmidlandsstargazers.org.uk/topic/10235-recommended-eye-pieces-and-filters-for-the-celestron-c8/#entry111708

I guess what I'm trying to say is, if it doesn't work for you then no body else's opion really matters.

There will be an EP out there that you get on with, you just have to find it.

What was it about the EP that you did not like?

I think it's the moderate sized sight glass/viewing window (slightly larger than a 1p) and the shorter eye relief, the Hyperion seems to suit me, so I'm looking for EPs that share its characteristics.

The Nirvana was considerably more expensive over the skywatcher 32mm, but I'd rather sacrifice the extra 60x mag for comfort. It's a shame really, I maybe need to give it another chance during better conditions.

That said, it looks to have solid reviews and the build quality, weight and finish certainly show on this EP.

I agree, so much choice out there and lots of varying opinions makes choosing an eyepiece a bit of a mare haha.

I'm looking to stretch out the scope a tad further as my interest is more planetary and I was in awe to see Saturn so crisp on my first viewing.

I actually went out in the early hours in the hope to find Neptune, no such luck! But I'm making the effort at least haha

I'm super enjoying this C8 though and I'm never getting rid of it! I seriously wouldn't trade it in for a much more modern one....

I'm keeping all the original parts and not making any irreversible changes.

I've been looking at other scopes too, certainly an addictive hobby:)

I have the same eyepiece but it's made by William Optics, it's called the 16mm Uwan and it's my most used eyepiece.

Shame you don't like it, maybe give it a little more time as the eyepiece is very good.

Well, having used the Nirvana 16mm on Saturn, I can say it's actually a very crisp clear optic. I just get massive eye strain when viewing the moon or Luna;) with it!

I think at 122x mag, the moon is just unpleasant for me to view. I have the filter fitted, but still the glare is too much....

The missus doesn't seem to have any issues though, but I'm struggling.

Also, Saturn at 250x is getting a tad difficult for me to focus, the sweet spot is very fine; which is an indication that I'm nearing the limit?

Is the 14mm ring likely to blame, is going from a 10mm to an 8mm too much? Is the 14mm ring likened to a Barlow in some respect?

You are going to struggle with Saturn regardless of what EP you use, it is so low down you are looking through loads of atmosphere, which is turbulent, full of pollution and particles ETC, so that makes the object you are viewing look soft or out of focus.  Jupiter would look the same if it was that low down. 

Unfortunately Saturn is going to be this low for about the next 8-10 years but the bright side is the rings are nicely open this year.

I also notice you are trying to view Saturn at 250x mag, good luck with that, highest usable magnification in this country on a good night is about 200x mag but on the very rare times the atmosphere is still, no jet stream, no wind, calm ETC, then you can push 250 and even 300x mag but those times are rare, very rare.

With Saturn so low, 250x mag is useless.

With regards to your luner issues, can I suggest you try this......

http://www.firstlightoptics.com/moon-neutral-density-filters/variable-polarizing-moon-filter.html

Blurb from FLO's website.....

Light transmission can be varied from 40% down to as little as 1%.

Will not change the colour of the object being viewed. 

Prevents eye fatigue and loss of night vision.

I have this and love it, as you can alter the brightness for a full moon, half moon, quarter moon, ETC, the filter you have might not dim it enough for your eyes.

At £27 for a 1.25" filter, you cant go wrong.

Edited by Daz Type-R

I will have a look, thanks.

I didn't notice much difference between the 200x and the 250x really, well apart from the sharpness was lost when stretching out the magnification. In truth it looked better around the 125x mag using the Nirvana.

Not pointless, you just won't use it much. But you never know what scope you might have in the future. The hyperion with a tuning ring should be about there anyway, it's just dismantling them in the field that's always a worry.

There will be moments of really good seeing when you could use the 7mm, there won't be many but if you observe a lot you will have a few. As to is it worth it, well that depends on your budget and if you can afford to have an eyepiece just sitting there.

I'm looking to get out a few times a week, every opportunity I get really. I'm a night owl, always up late studying.

I personally think you should have a high power eyepiece in your arsenal even if it's rarely used.

In that case, what would you get if you had the C8? The Hyperion 5mm or stretch the budget out for the Pentax 7mm

I wouldn't get a 5mm as that is x400 way to much for your scope, stick to a 7 or 8 mm so around x250 to x285. As I said you won't use it a lot but when you do it will show a lot.