• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

My Vintage Celestron C8 2000mm f/10

I've started to log some of the interesting satellites or 'space junk' too, early morning got a glimpse of the spent rocket body 2219. I did attempt to get a good view through the telescope when it shot past Vega, but did easily see it with the naked eye.

I've started to log some of the interesting satellites or 'space junk' too, early morning got a glimpse of the spent rocket body 2219. I did attempt to get a good view through the telescope when it shot past Vega, but did easily see it with the naked eye.

Nice idea :thumbsup:

After seeing shape and form to the ISS the other week, I would be interested to know of any other satellites with a shape that could be made out through a scope.

Just back from a long view of Saturn, now having spent some time with the C8; I've now mastered the tracking..... well I'm getting better:)

I did find myself getting the most clarity whilst using the 16mm (125x) over the 10mm Hyperion (200x) I'm thinking 160x mag would have been a good trade off between the two, so looks like my shopping list is getting bigger for this weekend.

I'm finding the hobby very rewarding and addicting so far :)

I need to get myself a support made and get to the Belper dark site!

It looks like a few stacked milk crates will have to make do, needs must and all that haha

Don't think I have the budget to upgrade to 2" :(

I had a trip to local shop earlier and picked up another low cost Meade plössl 40mm, and a lumicon filter (perhaps for future use)

I think I'm going to make the switch to 2" when the missus gets a scope.

It's like, too much stuff to buy and the list only grows.....

Just back from a long view of Saturn, now having spent some time with the C8; I've now mastered the tracking..... well I'm getting better:)

I did find myself getting the most clarity whilst using the 16mm (125x) over the 10mm Hyperion (200x) I'm thinking 160x mag would have been a good trade off between the two, so looks like my shopping list is getting bigger for this weekend.

I'm finding the hobby very rewarding and addicting so far :)

I need to get myself a support made and get to the Belper dark site!

It looks like a few stacked milk crates will have to make do, needs must and all that haha

200x might have been a bit to much. Saturn is quite low and if the seeing isn't brilliant you'll just magnify the atmospherics.

• Like 2

I think I'm suffering from corrector plate misting, it's a first for me! I think I may invest in a dew shield of sorts. I refuse to go powered, keeping this scope old school ;)

Camping mats cut to the correct length and velcro placed along one side to secure.

I am guessing this is a cheaper way over buying a branded one, or do they work just as good if not better?

Lots of people use them, and yes a lot cheaper then the branded ones and I think they work just as good. Of course you cannot beat a proper dew controller and dew strip but then you need a battery as well.

SCT corrector plates are dew magnets. If you make one from camping mat then ideally make its length at least 1.5x the diameter to be effective. On the dampest nights the corrector will still dew up eventually.

A low powered 12v hair dryer blown gently over the corrector can sometimes provide a quick temporary fix to keep you observing a little longer.

If you find the home made one is not working well enough, then the heated dew shields are the best in my opinion. But of course, you then need wires a dew controller and a battery.

Try the cheap home made version, but if it isn't good enough then invest in one of these and the other paraphernalia mentioned above...

http://www.firstlightoptics.com/dew-prevention/astrozap-flexi-heat-dew-shields.html

In other news, my B&W case is here. Its a small hard case but the hyperion fits in perfectly, I like that it comes with adjustable velcro dividers too.

I will get some images up here and in the other thread in a few minutes.

Well, I'm just back in from a quick viewing, was very clear until a huge cloud came over!

Anyways, the Hyperion 13mm seems a good between sizes and the magnification on Saturn was much easier to focus over the 10mm.

I'm happy with it, just waiting for the shorter days and my first visit to a dark site to really put the eyepieces to the test.

Edited by M__