• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Over optimistic weather app?

Tweedledee

I'm beginning to wonder if my weather app (Weather Pro by Meteogroup) is deliberately over optimistic.

I've used the same one for years now as it is very detailed predicting on an hour by hour basis for a fortnight ahead and gives detailed graphs, satellite and radar images. It has mostly seemed very accurate. However, over the last couple of months it has been predominantly predicting sunny intervals with 20 to 40 minutes of sunshine per hour, but what has more often than not transpired, is almost wall to wall cloud on that particular day.

Weather Pro seems to be less accurate than it used to be, but rarely if ever gets it the other way round and predicts rain or cloud on a lovely day. I'm almost wondering if the they think more people will use their app if it predicts more sunshine than other apps :)

I like to consult a weather app most days and if looking good for the night, will then use 7 timer or the FLO Clear Skies app for more specific details.

Is anyone having a similar experience, or could recommend a different weather app for me to try?

Cheers Mick,

Like you, I am very satisfied with Clear Skies and 7 Timer, they are very accurate for astronomy. I'm just having a moan about my general weather app and looking for a change :)

I've given up predicting the daytime weather, I just put sunny and rainy clothing in my car when I go out birding and decide when I'm there, I normally get it right. I also keep some factor 50 in the car as I burn really easy due to the medication I'm on.

That sounds like the best idea Mick :)

Anyone tried pine cones and seaweed with a computer interface? :)

do you own weather predicting - I use the IR radar maps from the last couple of hours and TRY and work out which way the cloud/rain is heading(or when clearer gaps are coming) not 100% accurate but  better than Watnall etc - I too have given up on weather app's/sites they are rubbish.

For long range forecasting I use an almanac stolen from a time traveller i met driving a gull winged silver car. ;)   

Cheers Clive,

Please post up some pics from your almanac for the next couple of months weather, including winning lottery numbers etc. :)

Guest peepshow

I love summer in the UK.  It's the best day of the year.

There will be no bad weather tomorrow.

The Met Office have advised drivers to make unnecessary journeys.

Cheers Clive,

Please post up some pics from your almanac for the next couple of months weather, including winning lottery numbers etc. :)

its the american lottery us brits cant enter  :D

Its rain.wind and sunshine by day just replace sunshine with moonlight clear nights and cloudy nights with no moon - Like Eric used to say "its the right notes just  not necessarily  in the right order".

I have started using this and find it to be extremely accurate.........

72CFAD3E-46B0-4053-839C-AB488EEE9FC5.png

• 3 weeks later...

I've just downloaded the clear outside app, also have a loo at what else is on offer. I will let you know of my findings :)

Well, the FLO app seems to be working here in Chesterfield as it states no clouds and it looks clear out, it's predicting thick cloud at 3 AM though.

Must say this FLO app ain't too shabby, cloud forecast seems to tally up with the cloud pattern above where I am.

The FLO application brings together information from all the major weather prediction sources and presents it very nicely in a way that's geared up for astronomers. Very useful piece of software - and free too. :)

I agree Kim :thumbsup:

The more I use FLOs app the more I'm realising that it seems far more accurate than my other all singing/dancing one that I normally use for general forecasting.

And another in agreement, I now solely use FLO's weather app over all the others. They seem to nail it pretty much all of the time.