• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Stacy from Derby - new member

Guest Artoostacetoo

Guest Artoostacetoo

Hi everyone,

I'm Stacy from Derby, I've just signed up to the forum.

I'm hoping to go out observing quite regularly, excited to hear that there is a dark sky area in belper as that's not far from me and will make a change from my back garden!!!

Is there anyone visiting the dark site soon? I wouldn't mind going for my free visit to see what it's like, with a view to paying membership afterwards.

Welcome to EMS Stacy.

It doesn't get very dark anywhere at this time of year, but later in the year Belper will be a fine place to observe and get away from the light pollution.

What equipment do you observe with?

Hi Stacy and welcome to the forum.

Like mentioned above, it does not get dark enough during summer to do any DSO hunting but the planets are visible, due to this, meets in summer are few and far between.

In the meantime I hope you enjoy EMS.

Hi Stacy, welcome aboard. Think we are due a quarterly meet fairly soon at are other darksite near Loughborough. Belper can be awkward in the summer due to an active and soocial cricket club. But is a good site. What kit you got?

All the best.

Hi Stacy welcome to EMS, I hope you enjoy the forum, there's so much going on all the time...

I am fairly new to the forum but I have picked up a wealth of good advice and knowledge from the friendly and helpful members on this site.

How long have you been observing Stacy?

Guest Artoostacetoo

I have a refractor telescope, Celestron Astromaster 70az. It was a birthday present and is quite good as a beginner telescope but I am hoping to get a dobsonian when I can save up the money.

I've only been observing for about a year and a half, but its something that I really enjoy. I try to go to talks around Derbyshire/Nottinghamshire when I can.

I'm also interested in getting into astrophotography, at the moment I use a Canon 600d with an intervelometer, and I have a telephoto lens so I get some decent photos of constellations/moon and I managed to get a picture of Jupiter with the moons as pinpoints. But I'm looking to get a decent telescope to take photos of deep sky objects but I don't know much about the kit I would need.

Was thinking of going to the Belper site to get a photo of the Venus and Jupiter conjunction and see how the light pollution fairs for me!

Nice Stacy. I have a dob they are great for visual and nice and easy to mod to your own liking, also alot of aperture for your money. But if your thinking of going down the photography route, the darkside, your best saving for a good equatorial mount.

Come along to the next meet, just keep your eye out, and have a look and play with some kit and see what works for you. There a few local with modded Dobs and it wouldn't be the first time we've got together to show off our kit, oh and drink tea

Welcome aboard Stacey :) Deep sky photography huh? How much time/money/patience do you have? It needs to be an awful lot on all three counts for the "darkside" that is astro-photography ;)

Hi Stacy, a warm welcome to EMS.

A Dob will get you some great views, but is pretty much a none starter for a decent attempt at astrophotography. As Felix mentioned, a decent mount that has good tracking is essential to get the best from anything you put on it.

Unfortunately Belper is pretty much unusable at the weekends until cricket season ends, they have a number of teams, and a thriving youth squad.

That said, Wymeswold will be back on the cards soon, and although it's a three quarter hour drive away, it's well worth it. 

Enjoy the forum, and feel free to ask as many questions as you like. :)