• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

First light for the PST

Graham

Well it finally arrived today.

I managed to intercept it at the parcel force depot as it is just across the road from my place of daytime employment.

I had taken a rickety old plastic camera tripod into work with me  so I could try it out at dinner time.

Absolutely stunning is the only way I can describe the first view of our star in all its glory.

Spent the afternoon with a stupid grin stuck on my face but who cares most folks at work think I am totally mad anyway.

I was contemplating going in to work tomorrow but as it is going to be sunny there's no chance of that happening.

I have already sorted a dovetail bar for it so first thing in the morning it will be on the NEQ6 and hopefully I will start to see what it is really capable of.

Edited by Graham

what are you thinking of imaging with?

its not really suited to dslr and a webcam is gong to to need a barlow in most cases to come to focus with the std PST

but i am sure you will enjoy it

Edited by Ibbo

what are you thinking of imaging with?

its not really suited to dslr and a webcam is gong to to need a barlow in most cases to come to focus with the std PST

but i am sure you will enjoy it

I will use either the QHY 5ll or the lifecam 

Well done Graham you deserve it  ;)

Can't wait to see all your photo's with it.

As most of you know, I'm a great fan of the PST but don't like some of its limitations. The trade-off, as I see it, is that the limitations make it as affordable as a 10" Newtonian. For me, imaging with a DSLR or webcam has been the Holy Grail that I just haven't been able to crack. I recently bought a Nikon D3200 DSLR and haven't had the time to try and make it work.

As it is, I'm still using afocal photography with my PST, while I'm using the DSLR for most other things. I had a stroke of bad luck when my best compact digital camera had some blemishes which stop me from imaging the whole disc but, by careful cropping, I can do some limited close-ups. I've had some results doing afocal shots with a DSLR but they are not as good as with a compact.

There's no magical formula but I have found some good processing techniques using GIMP. You can download it via my website.

I look forward to your photos using the QHY.

Thanks folks.

Philip - I am in the fortunate position to do something about the focus issues with the PST.

I intend to remove the prism focuser from the equation.

I will machine up an adapter so I can fit a powered duel speed focuser to the Etalon, there will be a dove tail mounting point on this adapter.

The ERF and Blocking filter will be transferred to a new straight extension and EP holder.

The EP holder will have a T piece thread on it for my DSLR to connect to.

When I have saved up the funds to purchase an ERF for the front of my 5 inch Helios Frac I will remove the Gold Tube from the front of the Etalon and connect the entire set up to the back of the Frac giving me a large Solar Scope.  :)  :)  :)

Edited by Graham

Sounds a great idea and similar to what Nick Howes did to get a "PST80". In fact, I might go down that route myself one day. With a camera with a lens capable of zooming to 300mm and pair of 15x70 bins, my ST80 is almost superfluous. I don't even do business travel any more.

Just a thought: Does anyone know how much an ERF is for an ST80?

Phil the cheapest place is the German astro dealers whos name escapes me at the moment Teleskope service or something like that.

A 75mm Badder ERF is about 300 Euros.