• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

What would you say is your favourite object to observe?

M.

For me its currently Saturn, I haven't seen much of anything else so far haha

That said I'm surprised how vibrant some of the stars look through my old scope and often find myself viewing Arcturus.

Im also looking forward to viewing pleiades.

Through my dob it was the Veil Nebula with the O111 filter, from a dark sky it was jaw dropping. Through my 5" Triplet, the double cluster looks awesome.

That's like saying what's your favourite dinner Martin!

There are too many classes of objects... Each bring different thoughts and emotions...And beauty is in the eye of the beholder...

My favourite objects include nebulas, globulars, planets, the moon, galaxies, meteors, comets!

I return to M42 time after time again, it is majestic!

A meteor shower is magic!

The Moon comes around every 28 days, it has phases and so many different details to see... Love it!

Jupiter and its Jovian moons are awesome, as is Saturn...

Galaxies are inspiring when you think at what distances they are and how many billions of stars they harbour!

If I was given the choice of only observing one object.... Then I would pick our Moon!, but do I have a favourite, no, I have several...

Cheers!

My "observing" is through a camera, and it would have to be just DSO's, anything really

they are all awesome in their own way.

(Other than my wife in lingerie ?  ;) )

Sorry.....had to get that one in....

Proberbly Jupiter. Never disappoints. (unless the seeing is really really bad)

Saturn too in around another 15 years.

Never tire of the moon either. I particularly enjoy the rare events ; occultations, lunar eclipses etc.

All of the above of course, using both my eyes through my binoviewer, the way nature intended.

As for deep sky, i love M42, but not seen Trap E & F yet though

Saw M11 recently through the scope for the first time. That looked nice.

I like star clusters from a dark site. Sometimes i just use binoculars. The Pleiades through binocs takes a lot of beating.

With the naked eye (when i'm holidaying) the view of my favourite constellation Scorpius next to the teapot Sagittarius, with the Milky Way in between them.

From a dark sky, this view is utterly stunning.

Mars every time. Its so elusive so to get a good view you have to have a good close opposition, its also got to be at a good elevation and the atmospherics have got to be right. The surface detail is very low contrast so takes practice and filters to bring it out.

But when all these things come together then its the most satisfying target out.

Lets face it Mars is the only other PLANET that we can see actual SURFACE detail on with scopes in the reach of the average amateur and that for me makes it special.

• Like 1

I have a few.

First off is NGC 869 and NGC 884 in my 13mm Ethos, they just fit in nicely and at 92x mag the view is stunning, I love picking out the different coloured stars.

Next up is M42, had my best views ever of that from SGL down in Hereford and EMS1, 2 and 3.  Just seeing it visually with no filter was just awesome.  Its not too bad either from my back garden.

My 3rd option is the Veil nebula, seeing that visually in my 8" dob from EMS1 (or was it EMS2 Mick, I cant remember?), it was just glorious, the witches broom as its sometimes other wise know.

Seeing the polar ice caps on Mars one year was also quite special.