• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

What to observe in July?

M.

Please can you guys help me with some suggestions for targets to observe with my manual 8" telescope, I'm looking for realistic challenge to get me motivated.

Of the top of my head:

M27 the dumbell neb in Vulpecula

M57 the Ring Neb in Lyra

M56 a globular in Lyra

M11 the wild duck cluster in Scutum

M76 the little dumbell neb in Perseus

Double cluster in Perseus

M15 a globular in Perseus

Ngc 6934 a globular in Delphinus

Ngc 7209 an open cluster in Lacerta

All these possible in your scope.

If you can get a clear, dark, southerly view - then anything in Sagittarius has gotta be worth a go - loads of stuff down there around the tea pot and quite a good challenge. :)

Will the lower mag of the 40mm meade be my best bet for most of these or will I need to go for the 16mm?

The globs and nebs will need 16mm, the open clusters and M11 will look good in the 40mm.

Use 40mm to find rough location and then 16mm, or even 10mm to zoom in.

Ok, weather permitting I will attempt M11 as I've just had a look on the sky guide.

Let us not overlook the Moon. There is always something to look at and it changes so much from night to night and even during the course of a few hours. Also Saturn is well placed if a little low, make the most of it this year as it's only going to get worse for a few years!

Let us not overlook the Moon. There is always something to look at and it changes so much from night to night and even during the course of a few hours. Also Saturn is well placed if a little low, make the most of it this year as it's only going to get worse for a few years!

I'd say Saturn is my most observed object, then the moon and then clouds lol

I finally got M31 tonight :)

I've only had a scope for little over a month.

I would consider a focal reducer for the brighter deep sky  objects. I think you will have only seen the central part of M31. It is very big and won't fit in most telescopes.

If you like double stars, this is the best time of year.

I would consider a focal reducer for the brighter deep sky  objects. I think you will have only seen the central part of M31. It is very big and won't fit in most telescopes.

If you like double stars, this is the best time of year.

It was good to see it for what it really is, hopefully see it under O111 filter though not sure that would make much difference? I'm hopefully going to get a 2" diagonal later in the week :)

No filter works on Galaxy's, with the caviate of a light pollution filter but that will only block out the sodium spectrum making the background sky appear darker, so hopefully enhancing the galaxy.

OIII filters only work on certain types of omission nebula.

• Like 2

OIII filters only work on certain types of omission nebula.

I too search out these elusive omission nebulae with an OIII filter, only to find they have been omitted from the sky on that particular night :rofl: