• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

nikon p900 magic digital zoom - impressed or not

stash

One of the Guys on ELAC shared this

>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4SC_2yD6wKk

Must admit,if true, throw away all your planet cameras and telescopes - just keep the mount  ;)

What do the AP's think - I await the onslaught  :D

Ive got a Panasonic HDC-SD700 Full HD camcorder with a digital zoom and image stabling that I've had for a few years might give it a try has a 700x zoom 

This is  "83x NIKKOR zoom lens – extendable to 166x Dynamic Fine Zoom¹ – covering from 24mm wide-angle to 2000mm telephoto (35 mm format equivalent)"     :umnik2:   - I know there is a lot more if's/but's (Moon is large object) - but the video looks very good for unprocessed(outside the camera!) . seen worse and it comes with wifi as std so equiv to Canon 750d/760d and they are £200 more. On the downside I guess there is less Astro software support for Nikon for you AP guys/gals. Plus I wonder how good it would be "modifed" (if possible) . Still a bit cheaper then Nikon's Astro camera that is else where on EMS   :)