• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Which 2" eyepiece to buy next?

M.

Ok, I'm thinking about buying my first 2" eyepiece this weekend now that I have my 2" diagonal fitted. I did have a go with my 13mm Hyperion as it converts into a 23mm 2" ? But I'm guessing as this isn't a dedicated 2" I'm not getting the best results.

I can only really afford one eyepiece now and I have a budget of around £100, I would like to go low magnification.

So, with this in mind what is the best option and which eyepieces would you avoid.

Unless you can find something better like a 30mm 82 degree secondhand in your price range, these would be good in your F10 and would provide the widest possibble true field...

New from First Light Optics.
Skywatcher Aero 42mm 68 degree £135
Williams Optics 40mm SWAN 70 degree £97
Skywatcher 38mm Panaview 70 degree £86

I have the Swan and have looked through the Panaview - both in Sct's - and they're both very nice for the price. :)

If you want low magnification, and you're using an f/10 SCT, theres one eyepiece that springs straight to mind.

The Tele-vue 55mm Plossl.

Now i don't know a whole deal about them......it have a relatively narrow fov of 50 deg, but it is a 2 inch barrel.

Its not silly money either, and if you list a 'wanted' ad on UKABS, theres a good chance a second hand one will come along.

Listed new they are £180 (Widescreen)

Here's a bit of gen, but on a US site. 

HTH  :)

https://www.astronomics.com/televue-55mm-polssl-eyepiece_p3307.aspx

• Like 2

Demonstration of apparent FOV with the different eyepieces mentioned as viewed through an 8" F10  SCT.

Look at the info in the top right corner of the screenshots for magnification and true FOV .

Notice that all the eyepieces give roughly the same view of the sky, the maximum possible with a 2" eyepiece, but see the difference in the relative sizes of the viewing area.

Televue Plossl 55mm 50 degree...

Screenshot-Stellarium%200.11.3.png

Skywatcher Aero 42mm 68 degree...

Screenshot-Stellarium%200.11.3-1.png

Televue Nagler 31mm 82 degree...

Screenshot-Stellarium%200.11.3-2.png

Explore Scientific 25mm 100 degree...

Screenshot-Stellarium%200.11.3-3.png

• Like 2

• 3 months later...

Hi, Paul

I have the 2" 28mm skywatcher, and it produces some good views of m45, I'd consider the 32mm if it wasn't for wanting a really low mag EP.