• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

LP Filter Fitting.

Perkil8r

Might be a dumb question but how does one go about fitting a light pollution filter when using DSLR on a t ring directly onto the 2"-1.25" adaptor on a 200p? Most lp filters I have seen are either 1.25" or 2" ep thread. :huh:

Can you post a picture of your T-ring?

Not 100% sure but I think this is the T-ring I have - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/T-mount-ring-m42-0-75-camera-adapter-Canon-EOS-/130586550359?pt=UK_Telescope_Adapters&hash=item1e6790a057#ht_1063wt_1110

With mine I can unmount 2" filters and put them into the T-ring with the locking ring from the filter assembly.

Edited by andyboy1970

Guest Kheldar

If you're using a 200P, sooner rather than later you're going to start thinking about a coma corrector : these have 2" filter threads on the end that push fits into the 2" EP holder.

Guest Kheldar

:o they want to be good at that price :blink: I nearly spat tea over my laptop! I can see a DIY filter coming on ;)

I can guarentee you the only way to beat that filter is with an even more expensive filter ;)

I can guarantee you that the SWMBO will certainly beat me around the head with it! lol

Just had a quick look, all I need to do is find a filter with the same thread as the eye piece holder, screw it in before I attatch the t ring thingy. Hmmm, anybody know what thread size that is?

Edited by Perkil8r

OK, the bottom righthand picture is with the T-ring in place isn't it?

Measure the thread diameter inside the camera end of the T-ring as it is probably the same size as a 2 inch filter internal thread.

it is yes, There is no thread as such on the camera end of the t ring, there is a bit of t ring thread spare though.

Edited by Perkil8r

How do you fit a 2" (M48) thread inside a T2 ring (42mm)? :blink:

You use an unobtanium tap ;)

This is why I'm asking, I don't have any filters to try or measure, so trying to figure a way to do something that doesn't involve spending £140 lol

Guest Kheldar

I think it will cause more harm than good, but you can get one of these

/>http://www.scopestuff.com/ss_tfa1.htm

I use one in my T2 chaing from DSI to T2 extension. Holds a 1.25" filter in the chain.

HOWEVER putting it in the path to a DSLR sensor is going to cause major vignetting and reflections I would of thought .....

Prime focus using native T2 threads does not lend itself to adding filters, fact of life unfortunately.

You typically have to go down the clip in / 2" nosepiece / coma corrector route.

Guest Kheldar

There's an EOS version available from other stores. You just need to verify you have enough back focus to use that.

Does the knurled ring not sit flush like with the T ring when fitted? Can't really tell from the picture I guess. Might be worth looking further into though.

PM replied to ;)

I don't have much travel left to play with when focused, although when using the barlow I have loads, but that being the case I could use a 1.25" filter anyway.

I will try and get a picture of my T-ring.

Yes one side is M42 and screws on to where the drawtube is unscrewed from but the camera bayonet side is larger and on mine the internal part of the camera side is M48 which is 2" filter size.

Ahh, I see, Mine is a smaller ID than that and smooth. Where did you get that from, which manufacturer?

I think it was the one I mentioned earlier in this thread, on Ebay.

Should point out that the filter is taken out of its mount and secured using its retaining ring, you can see this retaining ring just below right hand yellow arrow in the bottom picture.

Edited by andyboy1970