• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Ok, tripod or pillar mount for my C8?

M.

Hi all.

I'm now realising that I need something other than my garden bench 😄 and have about £200 budget for a tripod or portable pillar mount.

I don't want to remove the C8 from either the fork or wedge mount, I'm steering towards a pillar and I've been looking at the skywatcher HEQ5?

Will I need to retro fit or will I fit my wedge with little hassle?

Opinions and recommendations are much appreciated.

This is the wedge.

image.jpg1_zpsq1ysnx4s.jpg

Edited by M__

A tripod would be more versatile, a pillar would have to be custom made, no great problem, but then if you want to take it to a darksite you would have to dismantle to fit in a car. Also a pillar would be less easy to stabilise at a darksite, a tripod, just plonk it down and your away.

An heq5 would do but you would need some form of adapter knocking up, which again is no great hassle.

Of coarse eventually you could have both, a pier set in the garden and a tripod for darksites/starparties

Edited by philjay

I see.

I guess I could pick up a bargain tripod of sorts, for now it doesn't have to be perfect but enough to secure my scope. It must be a step up from using the garden bench at least haha.

Is the skywatcher about the best I'm going to get for the money?

Ideally I'd have something like what Pete made but without the goto...

Maybe Graham could help out with this one?

Ive seen heq5 tripods going sh for around 50 to 75, i sold one once for 70 notes. That leaves you a heck of alot for a friendly machine guru to make an adapter and maybe a few more bits snd bobs. Alternatively go for an Heq6 tripod, much beefier.

Most piers you see are for newts and they are low, you can get some refractor piers which would suit, taller, but you would have to go new as they are rare sh

You may be able to find an old CG5 tripod - they go for circa £50 - and they have 2" tubular steel legs - heavy duty and ideal for your set up (but you'll need an adaptor). :)

I think I would set my sights on a tripod, simply as they are more stable. If you have a pillar that isn't braced, it will rock, even in a slight breeze.

This is a rock solid pillar which according to the info will support a 14" SCT and is just above your budget...

http://www.astro-engineering.com/prod/astroengineering/telescopemountings/azrok1.html

It is heavier and may take a bit more putting together than a tripod, but as a portable mount, you won't get anything more rigid.

Keep an eye out on ABS and ebay and you might get something similar but cheaper secondhand.

I had one of these a while back and couldn't fault it.

Edited by Tweedledee

I have emailed astro engineering, can't seem to buy online and the distributors don't seem to stock it!

I tried to buy one of the AE sky mirrors a couple of years ago through scopes and skies and failed miserably, couldn't contact AE at the time directly either.

Martin - are you planning to visit Kelling in a few weeks? It's the one place where all the suppliers congregate every year and you'll find plenty of choice of piers there (both new and used). You can go as a day visitor for free - usually Saturday is the best day. Or alternatively get someone to look for you. :)

I believe AE were associated with the following two companies from the same town. If you are still having difficulty, try phoning the numbers on these websites, or perhaps another member will post with up to date info...

http://www.scopesnskies.com/

http://www.pulsar-optical.co.uk/page/contact-us.html

I think pulsar is out of business and scopes n skies is now thier new trading name.

I tried to buy one of the AE sky mirrors a couple of years ago through scopes and skies and failed miserably, couldn't contact AE at the time directly either.

I want the pillar but ultimately have lost confidence in the company that sells it, they state that you can buy online which is clearly untrue and are seemingly impossible to get hold of.

I wonder how many customers they lose?

Martin - are you planning to visit Kelling in a few weeks? It's the one place where all the suppliers congregate every year and you'll find plenty of choice of piers there (both new and used). You can go as a day visitor for free - usually Saturday is the best day. Or alternatively get someone to look for you. :)

I'm not sure, think I will go that route and ask the local shop to find something.

The astronomy and nature centre seem to stock this, I'm still confused to why astro-engineering are so hard to get hold of!

It looks like scopes n skies and astronomy and nature centre have some kind of connection too.

• 2 weeks later...

Have you made any decisions yet about getting your scope some legs?

Hi Pete.

Well, for now I'm saving some money up for a dedicated portable pillar or tripod, but for the back garden my dad offered to help build a static pillar.

I have the materials to knock up a simple brick structure, I had this idea about cementing threaded stud at the top, so I can bolt mild steel plate or similar.

I'm not looking for perfection, either way it's got to be better than my garden bench lol

Edited by M__