• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Last nights Perseids

I popped the ZWO on the tripod,climbed the ladder and put the cam on the roof of the consevratory.

A couple or 3 adjustments were rquired so up and down the ladders in the dark is fun.

Just over 4 hours into about 2 mins

good ones at 29 secs and 1.02 and a few fainter ones later on

lots of planes

its the lossy compressed feed as flickr will not allow anything over 1 gig

link to better vid

https://www.dropbox.com/sc/pxf73jnvdyiiqx3/AACkSffl03FmUO4M0v83Ngoca

20357233319_109498843a_o.jpglossy comp by charathedobe, on Flickr

Edited by Ibbo
  • Like 3

Nice work Steve. Must have been a bugger to get it focused.

Looks like you had pretty similar weather to us. Saw a few crackers but not quite up there with previous years.

the focus was one of the trips up the ladders

the others were to nudge it round a bit to miss the lights and the roof shadow

collecting it at 3am was a laugh I can tell you

• Like 1

The one at 29 secs has a fantastic afterglow, almost like a gunshot.

How would you explain to the nice officer what you are doing going up a ladder at three in the morning? :lol:

The one at 29 secs has a fantastic afterglow, almost like a gunshot.

How would you explain to the nice officer what you are doing going up a ladder at three in the morning? :lol:

first job would be to tell him/her to turn the light out first

• Like 1

I saw quite a few and caught some on camera. There was one àbout 02:10 - 02:11hrs in the SW that had a beaded trail. Someone on Twitter in Worcestershire captured a meteor at the similar, or same time. It also had a beaded trail so i wondered if it could be the same one? How can I tell? From the background stars? Or direction of travel? These would be different from Loughborough and Worcestershire so not sure.

My aim was to triangulate the two observations (if it was the same one), and with a bit of trigonometry, calculate the height of the meteor.

Did anyone else capture one around this time heading what looked like SW going downwards?

I saw quite a few and caught some on camera. There was one àbout 02:10 - 02:11hrs in the SW that had a beaded trail. Someone on Twitter in Worcestershire captured a meteor at the similar, or same time. It also had a beaded trail so i wondered if it could be the same one? How can I tell? From the background stars? Or direction of travel? These would be different from Loughborough and Worcestershire so not sure.

My aim was to triangulate the two observations (if it was the same one), and with a bit of trigonometry, calculate the height of the meteor.

Did anyone else capture one around this time heading what looked like SW going downwards?

I will have at look on the timestamps of the raw data

my video ended at 2-08 UT in total cloud

so it will be about an hour from the end

I will try and work out the frames it may be in

Edited by Ibbo