• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Perseids 2015

Johnnyaardvark

Not the best skies but better than anticipated so decided to have a go. Got a couple of mates out watching and we had some success in spite of light pollution restricting viewing to brighter meteors. Highlight was a very bright one with a persistent green trail that had a very bright glowing mid section... addictive waiting in anticipation for the next each time you see one... great fun as ever! :)

Images below are captures from about 600 images over the evening. Top two are the best with some subtle editing in PS CS2.

Nikon D5000 static mount, all ISO3200, some 20s and some 15s exposures.

Steve

20537985062_785f3a880e_h.jpgPerseid 2015 - best edit by Steve Athey, on Flickr

20358842538_cb285ee6fd_h.jpgPerseid 2015 by Steve Athey, on Flickr

20528977942_c2f26124e0_h.jpgPerseid very faint DSC_2293_01 by Steve Athey, on Flickr

20349811390_01ad20c17e_h.jpgPerseid faint short DSC_2268_01 by Steve Athey, on Flickr

Suspect this faint one was a sporadic

20537895045_dea0893114_h.jpgPerseid or sporadic DSC_2254_01 by Steve Athey, on Flickr

20544315621_46483b02b1_h.jpgPerseid best DSC_2228_01 by Steve Athey, on Flickr

20537921395_ac8acbe3a9_h.jpgPerseid tail end DSC_1780_01 by Steve Athey, on Flickr

Edited by Johnnyaardvark
  • Like 3

I do like that first one against the lighter blue sky with tree in the foreground. All good captures though - nicely done. :)

Thanks all.

No too difficult Martin. The hardest bit is focusing at/near infinity when there is nothing bright enough to focus on. Then it's just a case of taking many photos and keeping your fingers crossed. It's quite nice to do as it mostly takes care of itself while you sit and watch... mostly wishing the camera was pointing a different way... sods law prevails!

Thanks Kim and Rob. The bluer one is colour corrected... I read somewhere about adjusting "white balance" for polluted skies. I like it even if it is a bit too blue for some.

Original is the 6th one down I think.

I am happy to have picked up some subtle variation in colour due to varying ionisation of gases as they pass deeper into the atmosphere. Green through to red. Oxygen to nitrogen.

Thanks for looking.

Steve

Edited by Johnnyaardvark

Smashing captures Steve. I really love the blue one. I managed to capture a few. Not examined all the frames yet and don't have PS to tinkle with. Captured a beaded trail at 0210 or 0211 and someone in Worcestershire captured a beaded trail at same time. Might be the same, so might be able to calculate its height from trig.

• Like 1