• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Eyepiece brain ache

Guest Bloff

Hi everyone I have just discovered this site , I am newish to stargazing having had my telescope since early in the new year . I want to upgrade my 2 eyepieces that came with my telescope ( skywatcher 130p 650 mm long ) . Can anyone suggest which to choose at a mid range price (£30-£50) . I have spent a lot of time looking and reading about eyepieces , when I think I know what I want I always see something to change my mind thanks

Andy

Hi Andy and welcome to EMS.

At that price range you are still classing ep's as "budget" ep's but saying that, there are still some decent ep's out there at that price.

You may want to start looking at the BST range (also sold under various names such as BST Explorer, BST Starguider, Olivon, Astrotech Paradigm).

For the price, these are pretty decent (circa £45 each), 60 degree field of view (FOV) which is a bit on the narrow side but still usable and they also have 16 to 20mm eye relief, which is OK.  They do not weight a lot either.

A little out side your budget (by £9) are the William Optics SWAN ep's, they come in 1.25" sizes and 2" sizes, so make sure you purchase the 1.25" ep's if choosing this range as the 2" will not fit in your focuser, they do a 9mm, 15mm and a 20mm but the FOV on these is 72 degrees (so you will see 12 degrees more of the sky with these compared to the same focal length of the BST's).  Eye relief on these is a bit short at 12mm, 14mm and 17mm respectively

If your looking at the planets, then FOV is not so important, as you will be focusing your attention on the planet and nothing else but if you want a general all rounder, then the extra FOV will be helpful.

There are a few other options out there but we are starting to get outside of your budget.

2nd hand could be an option, take a look at http://www.astrobuysell.com/uk/propview.phpand check with us before a purchase (wouldn't want you to waste your money).

Last but not least, if you can, come to one of our meets, people will be more than happy to show your their ep's, explain a bit better about things to look out for ETC, as the trouble with ep's is this, what works for one, does not work for all, just because I like 'X', does not mean you will.

Good luck in your search, let us know how you get on.

Hi Andy and welcome to EMS :)

As per above the BST's, and WO Swans are nice - also TV Plossls and I'd add Celestron XCels, and Meade 4000's and 5000's which I get on with very well. But eyepieces are a very personal thing so pop to an observing session when you can and ask around - folks will let you try their eyepieces in your scope before you buy.

A general range between 8mm to 24mm in 4mm or 5mm increments suits most scopes and objects plus a wide view low power eyepiece around 28mm-32mm for the larger wide angle objects is useful. Alternatively some folks get a good quality zoom lens plus a wide angle lens for their first step up. :)

Edited by Brantuk

Hi all thanks for the replies I am not against spending that bit more for something decent . That was just a general price I picked to see what replies I got not knowing really what a good eyepiece for that sort of money was . I am aware that this is the introduction page so thankyou for taking time to look and advise

Hi, welcome aboard. As daz said get along to a meet and have a play with some kit to find what suits you.

HI Andy, a warm welcome to EMS.

I have owned the BST range, they were called explorers, but have been re-branded "starguiders". They are excellent quality for the money and very well made.

Have a look here.

http://www.skysthelimit.org.uk/telescope%20eyepieces.html

Upgrading from the basic eyepieces really makes a big difference.

If you have any other questions, feel free to ask away and in the meantime enjoy the forum. :)

Alan at Skys the Limit is great to deal with. Very helpful, quick delivery and the best prices around. :thumbsup:

Besides eyepieces, he also sources some pretty unique items that really can't be found anywhere else. He put some of my photos on his ebay site for the filter wheel I bought from him, I think I was the first to buy one a couple of years ago.

I find it easier to navigate around his ebay shop and I think it has more tackle than his normal website...

http://stores.ebay.co.uk/Skys-the-Limit-Astro-and-Optical?_trksid=p2047675.l2563

Hi Andy, welcome to EMS.  I have a set of the BST's your're very welcome to look at and through if we meet at a meet sometime.  :)