• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

R V O Opticstar...any thoughts?

Brady

Afternoon all

Im looking for a new camera for autoguiding and planetary and had my sights set on the QHY5L-II colour, which i think fits the bill for me and then had an email from RVO advertising the Opticstar PX-125c colour and was wondering if anyone else had taken a look at it and had any thoughts about it?, it does look very similar to the QHY but not sure on comparison also a bit less on price.

Personally im being drawn to the QHY but i can always change my mind  :chin_scratch2:

Wayne

Ive read mono is better for guiding but i want to get what i can from it and i like the idea of getting coloured pictures too, i read that the colour will not be as good at guiding as the mono but it will guide?

Edited by Brady

I think that from other peoples experiences, you might be disappointed with the colour camera. On the face of it, it sounds like a good and cost effective idea, but from what I can see, most people use a mono camera and then filters to get a colour image. (RGB etc)

The more experienced imagers may give you an idea of what camera would suit, but I suspect that a guiding camera is pretty much good for that and a better one is used for taking the images.

It looks like you may need deep pockets for this imaging lark.  :lol:

Thanks for the input, ive got £200 for a camera, be it mono or colour and thats all it is getting  :D, it explains why the mono is more expensive than the colour then if it produces better guide/quality?...so mono it is..am i right in assuming the QHY5l-II is the better choice for around the £200 mark? people do give it good reviews but on the other hand there are other cameras..i.e celestron for around the same...

Hi Wayne,

The QHY5L-II is a great guide camera. I have this camera and the Atik Lodestar and there's not much between them. Get the mono version, use it as a guide cam and at some future date pick up a set of RGB filters and a manual filter wheel (these come up on a regular basis on ABS) so you can shoot color images.

You will still be able to shoot great mono images with the QHY5L-II and getting some good practice before you purchase the additional items.  :D

Steve

Cheers for that Steve, QHY5L-II mono is on order and awaiting delivery, heard a lot about the RGB filters but on the same note heard a lot of people who havnt bothered due to good mono images....we will see  ;)