• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Camera suggestions please

Celeste

Ok, so I am getting back into AP....I know my MX7C CCD is pants, so, what else besides the Atik 314l+ is a decent starter CCD?  I looked at that 12dstrings website and noticed that the Atik couldn't fit some targets on the chip with my scope. I don't want to pay out £££ now only to be frustrated that I feel the need to buy another CCD later with a bigger chip. I may look at buying a DSLR, but that brings it's own issues. So....what's the general thoughts now? I've been out of it for too long I think  :unsure:

For large (35mm) and cheap you can get an 1100D for £100 to £200. For small and expensive a 314L+ mono will cost £650 to £750 (all second hand prices). Then you'll need filter wheels and filters on top. Just don't expect to get M31 on a 314L+ chip without a bit of stitching mosaics together. A budget might help with ideas.

Dunno much about other makes so I guess that's my suggestions, :)

Edited by Brantuk

Budget depends on how good someone is at convincing me :D  i am eyeballing a DSLR now and it comes with 2 lenses....up to 300 I think it says. Also an Atik for £450.

very hard one to call, a lot depends on what scope your using of course, it`s a bit of a mine field trying to match budget, scope and get a reasonable field of view so you can comfortably fit all the big targets onto the chip. 

a lot depends also on getting a good pixel size camera matched to a scope as you don`t want to be over or under sampling the images.

bang for buck i don`t think you can go too wrong with a 314L+ but a smallish focal length scope with a fast f ratio is difficult to match with it as the pixel size on the camera is big which could cause under sampling and resolution issues if the focal length of the scope is too short, make the focal length too long and your field of view gets smaller, you can get round this by getting a smaller pixel camera i.e. a 428 but the chip will still be small so the next step is a 460 but will cost twice the price but has smaller pixels and a bigger field of view.

to be honest most objects will fit a 314 chip unless your going for m31 or the heart neb or something huge like those but most galaxy's will fit and star clusters, matched with a 80 mm scope with a focal length of about 550-600 mm and it would be perfect with a flattener, i would both with a reducer on that, you have to remember not one scope or camera can do everything unfortunately. 

Rob, I will be using my 150P-DS scope, FL750, F5. According to 12dstrings site, M31, M42, M45 etc are too big to fit with an Atik on my scope. I am leaning more towards the Atik than a DSLR, but maybe I will grab both lol :P

That's a good idea Nicky - start with an astro modded dslr so you have something to be going on with at a reasonably cheap cost. Then you have plenty of time to research and decide on a ccd camera - probably when you've saved a few more pennies to get a good one. Once you're into ccd stuff you can always sell the dslr on with not much loss. :)

Rob, I will be using my 150P-DS scope, FL750, F5. According to 12dstrings site, M31, M42, M45 etc are too big to fit with an Atik on my scope. I am leaning more towards the Atik than a DSLR, but maybe I will grab both lol :P

yep there the big ones you`ll struggle to get in, M42 would fill the chip but your resolution would be ideal, so you`ll need a bigger chipped camera which i would say the 460 or something similar would be great and still provide you with excellent resolution sample rates with your scope.

it`s a tough choice and i`d say mainly comes down to budget.

We're too late Rob - Nicky just bought a 314L+ lol. This gal's quick off the mark....... :lol:

Congrats Nicky :)

Pmsl Kim yeah I saw it, thought sod it why not it will last me long enough there's plenty of other DSO's to last me a while. M42 etc will still be there :P

Sometimes you just gotta go for it..... I've bought many items of gear that way lol :lol:

Is it the mono one or OSC?

Edited by Brantuk

It's a colour one Kim. I can't wait for it to come now...I feel like a kid at christmas lol  :2thumbsup:

• 2 weeks later...

Hi this seems to be the avenue I want to tread, I have a canon 600d and an ES ed 80mm scope with a Skywatcher eq3-2 mount. I would like to have a live view through my scope/camera onto my laptop, as well as being able to achieve remote focus, I know that using APT I can get remote focus but only if the lens is attached but what do I need to see a live view through my scope as well as get focus. I want to take pics of Nebulas as well as Jupiter and Saturn.

Melvin

Download yourself a copy of BYE.

It will do everything you require and is designed to use with the Canon  :)

Thanks Graham I have just had a look at bye there is a free 30 day trial but it makes sense tome to purchase a copy which only costs £33 at today's exchange rate. Thanks again.

bye plus long "active" usb cable - i use 10m no problems - cable tidy helps to stop cable getting trapped