• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

1st Lunar with the QHY5L

Brady

Sorted the fps out now, turns out it differs if i put the camera in different usb ports on the laptop, tried the last port and in it went....just waiting for another clear night hopefully soon and give it another try, having trouble with Registax now though, i go through the processing and end up with a black band?..uninstall and reinstall hasn't solved it though...Avistack saved me :)

• Like 1

Im liking that Steve, as with Avistack opens them up first time AND gives me a processed image at the end  :D cheers bud

Sorted the fps out now, turns out it differs if i put the camera in different usb ports on the laptop, tried the last port and in it went....just waiting for another clear night hopefully soon and give it another try, having trouble with Registax now though, i go through the processing and end up with a black band?..uninstall and reinstall hasn't solved it though...Avistack saved me :)

Interesting that. Will have to try mine in other ports too.

I like my QHY5L-II but have not yet found in prefer it over my dslr for the moon. Works quite well for planetary and what little guiding I have done so far had been great (the main reason I bought it).

Would like to have more of a play with it for imaging though. I do find it difficult to work out how to balance gamma and exposure for different objects though...

Any thoughts or guides in that from anyone world be really useful?!

Great 1st light BTW. Thanks for sharing.

Steve

P.s.

Which version of Registax are you using? Some of the older ones 5 5.6 (?) Have worked betterv than 6 for me and have handled some larger files (from dslr) than AS2! I also quite like the wavelets in Registax.

Nice image Wayne. The AS2 image sure knocks the socks off the Avistack one. I use Registax 5.1 but I'll have to give AS2  a go after seeing this.

Cheers Guys, i do need to work on the camera settings i.e exposure/gamma and the likes though but im pleased for a first 30 second image, im not sure what to look for when the image is on the laptop, how it looks in the sky is not how it looks on the laptop no matter what i do with the settings, i just need a good start point i think, Steve i was using 6 but after the hiccup went back to 5..but that did the same so was wondering if the original files was corrupted some how after the initial process....but the files opened in Avistack and AS2 so end of Registax for a while.... im not trying to figure it out mate im pleased with AS2, same as you with the QHY settings though...i have 30 seconds experience  :facepalm: What part of Derby are you at Steve? my old stomping ground :)

• Like 1

to start leave gamma at the default setting

use the histogram to set the exposure on the brightest bit of the moon/sun and adjust it so it fills about 90 to 95% of the histogram

depending on the noise of the cam take enough frames to get a good stack say about 1000 and stack 250/500 and pick the best and process that

if need be increase number of frames to capture

if doing ha solar grab quickly as it is dynamic

planets that spin quicky ie Jupiter keep it down to 45 to 60 secs / filter as the rotation can come into play with longer focal lengths or try and work out how to use winjupos (I tried last couple of apparitions and mainly failed)

well thats how I do it

if you want to mess with gamma do it post processing

Edited by Ibbo
  • Like 1

Does this apply to all camera programs Steve?, i have been using EZplanetary that came with the cam or can you recommend something more?

Thanks for the input though, i will put it to use on the next session for sure  ;)

I use Firecapture and IC capture and use same settings on both

I would say start with those settings and tweak as you feel best with

anything out the top of the hisotgram will be saturated and if you don't use all the histogram you are losing data unless you are trying for a particular feature like a faint prom with ha imho

there are others like sharpcapture available whichever suits you

Edited by Ibbo

When you say fill the histogram? do you mean adjust the exposure bar until the histogram is full 90% from left to right? or a single "bar" at 90%?

Cheers Steve

Thanks bud, if they have it right i may be able to put your advice to some use, clear from midnight for a few hours....thats all i need  :thumbsup:

So...weatherman says clear from 11pm....its clear UNTIL 11pm then clouds over until i feel like throwing the scope in the hedge..at least my new skywatcher auto focuser is earning its keep..around 2.30am ive had enough..wrap up..maybe next time..at 8am i decide its time for a cuppa, go out to feed the birds and get this.....at 8am?... :dontknow: with the sun on the other side..

CroppedMoon_zpsjo1uvmon.png

• Like 1

Wow... looking quite nice that and very good focus. Some amazing detail in the long shadows showing the profile of the mountains around the ridge of the crater! Well done.

I live near Mickleover where did you hang out?

Edited by Johnnyaardvark

Twenty odd years ago now Steve, had a flat on Shepherd St, used to be a cycle shop on the corner i think, not sure if it's there now though.. 

Edited by Brady
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I was trying out guiding the other night and at the end i thought i would try the moon through the 9x50 finder and QHY55-L

Moon_200509_g5_ap554_zpsc1fvuaja.png

And this is my first go at a mosaic, plenty of blurs and mess but at least i have managed to try out some of these programs thats out...not as blinding as i first though

trial%20mosiac_zpszcwvzitq.png