• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Hexy 635 bino update

Guest black eyed hexy

Guest black eyed hexy

Hi guys latest update to my bino project, finally assembled the pier +mount+tube cage ===

whole assembly turns 360 continuously either direction ,

cage swivels 0-100 degrees in altitude.

both axis actions operate ultra smooth even under severe loading

hope you all like it even if it,s totally unorthodox

Hi Dan,

Heavy duty stuff. I like the way you incorporated the Spitfire, makes it even more of a talking point.

Just watch you don't fall off and injure yourself when your doing the 360 degree severe load testing :D

Cheers,

Pete.

Guest black eyed hexy

Well I certainly rose to the challenge did I not??

Dare to be different. thats me.

It won,t look quite the same in a couple months time though

I,ll let you know what it,s like in high heaven after that ,

aiming high Dan

That looks absolutely brilliant! I personally can't wait to see the finished article. Will likely give great wide field views :)

Guest black eyed hexy

Good day,

Great wide field views I,m after catman , and great wide field views I,m gonna get, except they will be ultra bright and ultra clear---bit more than my twelve inch shows.

It,s no fluke , You might just see ba pumping choc bars from two black tubes in his next advert------ two at a time!!!

Hi thanks rusty , as the info dictates-----the mirrors are 635mm each = 25 inches= being a binoscope makes that equivalent to 900mm=36 inches Do you think that,s big enough?? I might need a polarising filter to lesson the light when viewing faint stars though lol.

must go, got to insert tubes . Dan

Guest black eyed hexy

Hi pete, I noticed I didn,t say hello, don,t wish to exclude you at all, welcome back , The tubes are being mounted this week ,so hexy will look more like the real thing,then it,s on to cosmetics. regards DAN

Guest black eyed hexy

Thank,s craig, I,m well aware that my bino project is a long way from the norm. And that the shear size of it look,s to be totally static, but there is a serious attempt here amongst the apparent madness.

The long term plan is to mount the scope on a trailer so that it makes it completely mobile , then I can share the views with fellow astronomers , regards DAN

I think it is an awesome idea. I love the wide field views binos give. I can only imagine that your project will yield awesome views-I would love to have a squint when they're finished :)

Guest black eyed hexy

Thanks catman, (alias felix/hay),

Interesting you consider it awesome, that,s exactly my reaction when I first came across a 22 inch bino concept, albeit a lightweight open truss design. "man I,ve Just gotta have one of them" You,ll say just the same after a big bino experience take my word for it .

I,ve got 10 pairs of various binoculars including 25x100 so I know a little of the virtues of bino viewing , mono just doesn,t suit my eyes.

Forget what anybody might say regarding the complexity of big bino,s , lack of understanding big time here . Binocular,s are very simple ,

By all mean,s you are welcome to have a "squint," er! no "a peep" no! "a natural view then" Ah! now your talking.

I,m a member of "astronomy forums" as well so most of my work gets posted there . regards DAN

Hi Dan,

Can't wait to see the tubes in the cradles, it is looking great.

Cheers,

Pete.

Guest black eyed hexy

Hi pete, the wait is nearly over , today am feeling like s----- I met a lerg bag and one of them escaped and attached itself to me --phoorrrr !throat feels like a loo brush. So a did the sane thing and took some magic pills then elevated my middle finger at it , I,m rarely that rude , but these things move around without a licence.

Once the magic pills release their venom I will attempt to go out and install the pivot bearings onto the cages then we,re all set to offer up the tubes .

tommorrow I,ll be a grandad for the second time (little boy) there.ll be no hissing and screaming.==caesarian this time . there will be 3-4 days recuperation then home time.so hopefully I can work on the scope until.

SO I,m more or less back on track, and the mirror,s will be started in april sometime. God, am feeling sorry for myself at the moment. these unexpected spanners in the work,s. still drag on . wheezing Dan

Hi Dan,

Hope you are back on form now.

You need to be to see this new grandson, congratulations.

And we don't want this bino project slipping behind schedule due to illness, I'm eagerly awaiting further progress and pics :)

Anyway don't try and do too much, have a break. You're doing a fine job.

Pete.

Guest black eyed hexy

Hi pete, and everyone else===I,m officially a grandad again to a baby boy. whallah !! my son refused to tell us the name beforehand, so we,ve been trying for a while to guess and trick into acknowledging . didn,t work !. funny yesterday, I had a lone thought on it out the blue and the name ben popped up. guess what name was revealed after the birth ??? my eyebrows are now part of my hairline. weird , this premonition stuff.

anyway I got two extra scopes to make now== one for the granddaughter and one for the grandson,

well the cold bug won the battle for occupancy and dug in , so i "CALLED IN THE CAVALRY" to help with the eviction,===lemsip max all in one, turned the heating up, put damart thermals on ,top and bottom, made some hot horrible tasting herbal slush, microwave hot pack, albus oil, extra duvea, gargling mixture, burning incantations and curses virus anhilation ray gun. I need to scorch the little vagrants

how dare they come between me and my bino project. Hark !! I can hear ten thousand bugles Hexy shall be built , even in troublous times .

sorry to rant on, it,s all the frustration. I aint feeling too good.

I did a little mod to the mount swivel to strengthen it up a bit today just to keep me cheerful enough. tommorrow I will attempt to fix the pivot bearings

and then you can ave yer pics of hexy complete, blow them bugles loud DAN

That's the spirit, Dan.

You might have lost this battle, but you'll win the war.

Cheers.

Guest black eyed hexy

Good evening folk,

got some more pics of hexy ===tubes are now inside the cages, albeit just resting, awaiting bolting to pivot bearings.after the weekend rain tubes should swing skywards, then secondary cages will be bolted on ,along with mirror cells to test the movements for smoothness.

happy dan

It is really looking the part now Dan.

Looks like you sprayed the tubes rather than brushed.

I'm well impressed.

Cheers,

Pete.

Guest black eyed hexy

thanks pete ,need a little encouraging feed back, just had a hellish 3 days as you know , set me back a few days, but am not beat just yet.the cavalry,s downed most of them , tommorrow will be helping son turn a old airing cupboard into a clothes store, but it,s forecast rain anyway, so sun or mon for the pivot bearings now. regards dan

Hi Dan,

So, you have an nice little airing cupboard job to distract you from the major project while you recover :)

I had a frustrating DIY job today that should have taken all of 5 minutes but had me cussing at it for quite a while. Toilet roll holder in downstairs loo came loose. Only 2 screws/plugs in soft plasterboard but just couldn't get the plugs to stay put, then after a bit of bodging and bigger plugs it is just about hanging on. It might last a few weeks before I'm filling it and starting again :angry:

Pete - you can get self anchoring plugs that push right through and expand behind the plaster board - so when you screw into them they pull against the back of the board and hold very tight :)

Cheers Kim.

I had some in my tool box but they just kept screwing round and destroying the plasterboard. But its bodged now but looks fine for now.

Cheers

Guest black eyed hexy

Plasterboard walls , eeeekk!! are so crap, it,s a backwards step for construction. I,ve been in the building trade 35 years and always recommended solid walls.

I like well made solid things they last much longer, have you noticed?? Ha!ha

Made some progress today in the dry shed, I made my own pivot bearing houses ready for dangling them tubes. see what I can get done tommorrow.

A feel a lot better now, dan