• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Is this a Peregrine - spotted in Elan valley last week

stash

While on holiday at an old mill(restored) in Pem paid a visit to Elan Valley(via devils bridge) and played "try and take a photo while I fly to the next pole" with what I believe is a Peregrine(lot bigger than a kestrel!!!). Sorry for the bad pictures but as I said I was trying to take the photo from my moving car(3 mph) as the bird played leap frog along the telegraph poles. Pictures of cottage and elan valley too for info

Spotted many Kites and Buzzards (amazing how common now days even round Cranwell) but I have never seen a Peregrine in the Wild (exclude live web cams) and other birds but no otter's which I was told came to the Mill now and then - oh well. Dark sky but small due to high tree canopy surrounding cottage 

Bigger than a Hobby  - thought it might be a hybrid Saker as the wings were more brown,like Kestrel, than black - wish I had a better picture

Lovely to see birds like these.

I remember seeing them around cliffs on the coast in north wales about 30 years ago.

I now quite often see the local city centre ones flying over.