• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Planetary Imaging with ALTAIR GPCAM AR0130C COLOUR Camera

gfletcher

Hi Guys

Am I right in thinking that I can leave the star diagonal 0n my 8†SCT and insert the GPCAM AR0130C COLOUR Camera into it for imaging or do I have to remove the diagonal?

Thanks

Graham

It would be better if you used the cam straight into the OTA as there will be less light degradation but you can use it in the diagonal with reasonable results.

Yup - as Felix says - prime focus photography is by far the better option - rather than projecting or deflecting the light path via eyepieces or diagonals. Diags and ep's have coatings to reduce the reflectivity in the glass they contain - which also reduces the light reaching your camera sensor.  Hth :)

How do i determine what settings to use in "SharpCap" when imaging with the GPCAM AR0130C COLOUR Camera through my Meade LX10 8" f10 SCT ?

That depends entirely on what it is you're trying to image. Brighter objects require lower exposure levels. Check out Dion (from astronomy shed) videos on YouTube. He has a load of sharpcap tutorial videos for the beginner planetary imager. Watching his videos is how I started out. They're very informative :)