• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Hi from York

Guest poddy

I found this site after looking into mods for a Skywatcher 200P dob that I'm hopefully getting in the next couple of weeks, so I thought I would come say hi. I am  also a member over on SGL but I haven't posted on there for some time.

I used to own the 200P on the Eq5 mount but had to part with it due to money reasons. I would truely love another one but funds won't stretch that far :(.

I've been looking around the forum, trying to glean as many mods as I can for my future dob, and I can't believe some of the ideas you guys come up with. Truely inspiring. Can't wait to try them out myself. 

Andy

Hi Andy, welcome to the forum. Many of us on here own dobs and nearly all of us have modded them in some way, my signiture below has links to a few guides I have done, also the DIY section is full of ideas.

Have a look and if you need any help, shout up.

In the meantime, I hope you enjoy the forum.

Hi Andy, a warm welcome to EMS.

The 200P Dob is probably the most popular scope there is, it balances budget, weight and size and decent optics. It does deserve this as well, but it does need basic modifications to even make it reasonably usable. The first mod you want to do is fit "lazy Susan bearings", this gets over the sticky rotation of the base. 

Have a look in Daz's signature, there's a clickable link to all the mods he has done on his and no one has modded their 200P more than Daz.

Feel fee to ask any questions you have, you will get any help you need.

We are up your way next month for EMS4 up on the moors near Pateley Bridge.

http://www.studfold.com/

You would be welcome to pop up and say hi and if it's clear, have a squint through some.

In the meantime, enjoy the forum. :)

Thanks for the warm welcome guys. 

It was Daz's lazy susan mod that brought me here. A very well laid out and explained guide. Really useful. 

The star party sounds great. Will look at that and see if it falls on my work shift pattern. Hopefully not. I would love to come and say hi. 

Andy

The star party sounds great. Will look at that and see if it falls on my work shift pattern. Hopefully not. I would love to come and say hi. 

Andy

Like Mick and Baz said above, your more than welcome to either stay, or just drop in.

Hi there Andy,

Welcome to EMS

I'm also just about to join the 'Dob  Mob'

Recently got hold of a 10" OTA off eBay. (i did have a 10" Newt 15yr ago, but that was equatorially mounted. Sold it to fund another purchase)

Just a matter now of finding some £££'s for the Dob base.

Hopefully i'll have it in a few weeks.

I'm excited with this new scope and am itching to use it.

Hope you get yours sorted soon  :thumbsup:

Edited by Bino-viewer

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks again for the welcome guys. Well today I've gone and grabbed a bargain from ABS. A Skywatcher 200P Dob which has anyway been modded. I wanted to post some pics in the equipment section but it won't let me. Any reason why?

Hi Andy,

Not been on the site for a while but welcome to EMS.

I grew up in York but left when I was 17 ( a life time ago) when I joined the Navy.

Now live nr Loughborough.

Thanks Alastair

I've only been living in York for the past 4 yrs. I'm a Stokie by heart, but I do love York

Had a good couple of hrs out with the scope last night. Caught up with M57, despite the full moon, M31, M13, the Double Cluster and of course the Moon. The misses was well impressed with the Moon. Can't wait to be able to show her Jupiter, Saturn and Mars. Dew and clouds were beginning to be an issue so I packed up for the night. Did stay up for the eclipse though.  ;)  ;)  ;)

Andy