• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Fullerscopes Project

M.

Personally I would go gloss black and pick out all the lettering with either silver or gold.

You might want to be a bit careful with the wiring, it looks like it may not be earthed. Does the motor still work?

Personally I would go gloss black and pick out all the lettering with either silver or gold.

You might want to be a bit careful with the wiring, it looks like it may not be earthed. Does the motor still work?

I'm too scared to find out haha.

It will be in bits over the weekend. It's a 6" model, with a 48" (approx 1200mm) focal.

Edited by M__

Hi Martin I am intrigued as to what you plan to use your new scope for?

You already have a 8" F10, perfect for the planets ETC and now you have bought a 6" F8 (approx) which wont be as good on the planets but will also struggle with some of the more elusive DSO's due to its limited aperture and light grasp.

Just wondering if it is a do it up because you can project or if you plan on using it.

Either way, looking forward to seeing the project, make sure you keep us updated!

Paintstripper will get rid of the fs crinkle paint easy. Give it all a wire brush to clear the oxide and crud. Then a good coat of self etch primer then a good hard wearing matt bkack. You will be hard pushed to find black crinkle finish these days.

Have you thought about getting a removable pier extension and adapters so you can use the SCT or the newt on the pier?

I have. I just removed the legs from the post and I reckon this would be an easy thing to make, I have a fabricator just up the road.

Hi Martin I am intrigued as to what you plan to use your new scope for?

You already have a 8" F10, perfect for the planets ETC and now you have bought a 6" F8 (approx) which wont be as good on the planets but will also struggle with some of the more elusive DSO's due to its limited aperture and light grasp.

Just wondering if it is a do it up because you can project or if you plan on using it.

Either way, looking forward to seeing the project, make sure you keep us updated!

I won it for £42, so figured it would make a cheap project, it was the pillar post that caught my eye.

Edited by M__

Paintstripper will get rid of the fs crinkle paint easy. Give it all a wire brush to clear the oxide and crud. Then a good coat of self etch primer then a good hard wearing matt bkack. You will be hard pushed to find black crinkle finish these days.

Yeah, I think weathering seems to have done most the work for me :P, wire brush should do the trick.

Looking at the way your wiring is, with the taped bit and all, I wonder if it has once had some controller or something on it?

Or maybe just the way its been connected to mains cable??

Edited by Astronigel

Its definately a mk3.

Fabricators? Just buy a long bit of pipe, drill some holes and your there

Most drives of that FS era were 240v Crousete synchronous motors geared to give sideral through the worm and wheel. Invariably the cables got messed about with and end up with chocolate block connectors. Perfectly acceptable in the old days before H&S culture but highly dangerous :-) especially on a damp night with no earth.

FS did a drive controller but this was rather in the realm of the higher end scooes I wouldnt think a 6" on a mk3 would warrant the expense

Looking forward to seeing your refurb. :thumbsup:

I'm sure I've seen black crackle finish still available in a spray can, if you really wanted that finish.

We use "VHT wrinkle paint" on our cars  at work. I'd have a bit of a practice but follow the instructions and it gives a good result. It's on ebay. Poor thing looks like it deserves to be saved.

We use "VHT wrinkle paint" on our cars  at work. I'd have a bit of a practice but follow the instructions and it gives a good result. It's on ebay. Poor thing looks like it deserves to be saved.

I've taken most of it apart, lots of spiders!

• 2 weeks later...

I think this will be the starting point, shouldn't take too much effort to prep for painting. I'm not looking to spend a fortune here, essentially use what I have in my garage.

image.jpg1_zpslz3x7adt.jpg

• Like 2