• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Birdwatching at Attenborough 12.3.2012

Doc

Had a great day at Attenborough today, saw three Great Spotted Woodpeckers two males and one female, Goldeneyes, Goosanders, Teals, Blackcap, various finches and ****, Female Smew, Redshank, Snipe, Lesser Black Back Gull, and a Ruddy Duck.

I think I saw a Med Gull but not 100% sure. On the walk back to the car we saw a group of twitchers looking at DragonFly Pond I asked what they were looking at and they said a Bittern. Well within 5 minutes it showed itself a little amoung the reeds, I looked through someones scope and was greeted by an awesome sight of the Bittern, I could also see it in my Hawke 10x43 bins, an awesome sight, all I could see was it's slender neck and head but wow it was fantastic. It showed itself maybe 5 times in 30 minutes.

All in all a great day birdwatching.

It was a great tick thats for sure. It's only three weeks and we start going back to Norfolk in our static caravan, I can't wait to get back down Titchwell and Snettisham.

Ah, Marsh Harriers,Bearded ***'s, Geese and all manner of 'little brown job's' quite jealous Mick!!

Out of interest Mick, when I rang Gibralter point this morning, I asked about any migrants arriving? 100's of Chiff Chaff passed through yesterday and this morning was the turn of Willow Warblers and Blackcaps. Not seen any of them yet??

We have Blackcaps at Attenborough saw one on Monday not seen any of the rest though will have to keep an eye out for them.