We politely request that members refrain from discussing politics and/or the Brexit debate on East Midlands Stargazers. Let's keep it to the topic at hand... Clouds. ☁️

• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

Test

Sign in to follow this  
Daz Type-R

Lunar eclipse Sunday 27th - Monday 28th.

Daz Type-R

I know it's early doors but I'm thinking of going up the Belper dark site Sunday night / Monday morning about 01:00 and staying for the duration of the eclipse, so leaving about 06:00 Monday morning, this is all assuming it's going to be clear.

I think next doors house is going to get in the way of the main show, so thought about going to Belper for the unrestricted views.

Any takers?

Edited by Daz Type-R

Bino-viewer

I have a similar issue Darren with the house possibly getting in the way after 03:00hrs

I'm planning on seeing it too, despite being ar work at 10:00.

I'm up for it at Belper....! 

Perkil8r

I might be in streaming from work! Nothing definite yet but either way I won't be at Belper, I need to start work at 7:30am anyway regardless.

tuckstar

I have same issue so I might well pop up. I have work in the am so will get some kip early Sunday and pop up for about 1ish Monday morning all being well.

Orion

Unsure at the moment. I dont know how to work out where the track of the moon will take, relative to the houses from my location. If its low anyway, because the scope is close to the bottom of the south facing garden, the moon wont be within line of sight at low altitude. But i have the camera and tripod which can be moved around. But i won't be able to take long exposures in totality without a driven mount. I just too some trial exps just now with a 300mm lens and just had to do 1-3 secs m42 at iso 6400, first m42 this season. A few to stack.

seven_legs

Love to but going out for a booze up on Sunday. So will be having a kip about 23.00ish for an few hours then get up to watch from back garden

Daz Type-R

Looking on Sky Safari the start of the eclipse is about 1:15am and it lasts until 6:20am ish. So far it's looking good (the unmentionable) so I'm aiming to get up to the dark site about 1:00am and stay for the duration.

catman161

In working nights in children's A&E :( I tried for a shift swap and explained that it won't happen again until 2033 but as nobody at work is interested in astronomy, they all said no and a couple even laughed thinking I was joking about wanting to see it!

Edited by catman161

Bino-viewer

Hi

What time are people generally arriving ?

I was aiming to arrive by around 23:30hrs

Will there be anyone there then....?

Will any gates be open etc ?

Orion

I think it's over an hour's drive from Loughborough. The lights go out here at midnight, so will be pitch black (when the moon is eclipsed). Im so tempted to stay here for this one.

Daz Type-R
Hi

What time are people generally arriving ?

I was aiming to arrive by around 23:30hrs

Will there be anyone there then....?

Will any gates be open etc ?

I'm aiming to be there about 00:30.

There are no gates to open, just park on the right hand side once you are past the club house.

If it's clear I'll be up there around midnight Rob.

Only bringing my bins.

Glad you can make it Mick.

Bino-viewer

Thanks for advice.

I'll have my refractor, my 15x50s and camera.

Done a recce over the weekend.

I found the best route from Derby (via Belper, then the road to Blackbrook) 

so i definitely won't get lost in the dark !!  It measured 9 miles from my house. 20 minute run.

You're probably aware : the access road into the cricket club looked like it had been mined.

Huge potholes everywhere. After this though, the ground around the club was excellent.

See you all there.  :)

Bino-viewer

just realised i'm working in advertised UT times.

The eclipse doesn't start till 02:07 hrs (bst)

I'll set the alarm for midnight, aiming to arrive 00:30hrs

Daz Type-R

Brilliant night / morning, thanks to Andy, Mick and Rob for joining me, cracking good night with good company.

:P

Bino-viewer

Awesome night, one to remember. Even got my first look at Jupiter this season (at 05:00hrs) before packing away.  :)

I was amazed at the change from full moon to eclipsed totality with regard to what else you could see in the sky.

Amazing views of the Milky way too. 

At one point we even seemed to forget the moon, and concentrated on deep sky objects that had become (easily) visible.

I even bagged M1 with my binoculars !!  I'd not even seen it before with my scope from home.

Very impressed with the Belper site. When can we go again ??  :lol: Can't wait to get my Dob up there........

BAZ

I was in the back yard, it was really spooky. That's the first time I have seen M31 with Bino's while the moon is up.

Glad you guy's had a good night/morning! :)

Tweedledee

I got up about 3.45am for a quick look, and had a lovely view of it.

Was quite surprised just how dim the moon actually was compared to the usual light pollution of a full moon.

tuckstar

Was great to catch up again and the moon was stunning. Wish I had taken the dob the sky was to die for and the poor zeiss fell victim to dew. It's been a long day at work after being up since 12:30 last night!!